Rice?

budec

I love rice, but it's a PITA waiting 30+ minutes for it to get done cooking. Is that instant brown rice any good? It cost a lot of $$$, but might be worth it if is good rice.
Any tricks to this to getting normal rice cooked faster?
Lately I've been just hitting the oatmeal and beans (in a can).
I should probably get some potato's. Any receipes on fixing up a good potato? (can you tell I'm not good at cooking
butbut.gif
happy.gif
)

WOW! Thanks! Didn't know those things existed. Googling for one now. How long do they ussually take to cook 2 cups of rice up?

Why not just cook up a big batch every few days. Rice keeps well over several days in the fridge. When I make rice, I just put some pre-cooked rice in a steamer with some veggies for a minute and presto.

Even with a cooker you need to follow ecto's suggestion, cook a butt load and then save it.

A rice cooker still takes about 10 mins to 15 mins, depending on how much, at least the one I have, it's an old one that is more like a pressure cooker. I cook about 4 cups on sunday and then seal it in a vac bag, in 1/2 cup servings. They are microwaveable so I just pop them in. I actually have to cook 8 cups, 4 cups brown(my wife won't eat it) and 4 cups long grain white(my wife will eat it).

It greatly depends on the cooker. If it's a steamer (the normal one - the cheap thing you can buy everywhere) it'll take as long as normal cooking, only it's a little less hassle. If it's a pressure cooker I think the time is mostly cut in half or one third if the rice is normally cooked for 30 minutes.

I haven't used a pot for making rice in...years! Good investment, but a pressure cooker can get expensive
crazy.gif

If you decide to go the instant route, I can tell you it's worth the extra $$... At least I use instant brown rice ... The box says 10 minutes, but I just scoop an cup in a bowl, fill w/equal water, microwave for 2 minutes, and let it sit for at least 1-2 minutes after. Tastes great, especially w/added herbs and spices =)

Back