Restarting HST; suggestions

andrew

I haven't visited in a while.  As a newbie, I started weight training on universal machines in 2004 using HST.  2005, I moved to free weights but dropped HST since I worked out with my brother and followed his routine.  I'd like to start HST again but need some help putting together a good routine.
Looking for guidance because I am confused between looking at the sample at <a href="http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/paul4.htm
" target="_blank">http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/paul4.htm
</a>
Using this as a guide, I'd do something like:
Legs
leg press (1x10)
leg curl (1x10)
Chest
bench press (2x10)
dips (1x10)
Back
chins (2x10)
rows (2x10)
bicep (1x10)
Traps
shrugs (1x10)
Shoulder
shoulder press (1x10)
lateral raise (1x10)
rear delt (1x10)
Biceps
db curls (2x10)
Triceps
tricep extension (2x10)
Calves
calf raise (2x10)
Abs
crunch (2x10)
back sit up (2x10)
1) Are these way too many exercises?
2) Should the number of sets change for 15s and 5s?

On the other hand, I see people doing 5x5 routines like:
Squat
Deadlift
Bench Press
Military Press
Rows
Chin-Ups
I'm not really comfortable doing Squats or Deadlifts.
Any suggestions? I could sure use some.  
crazy.gif

Andrew, Let me be the first to welcome you back! There have been a lot of changes around since you last left like the information available, tweaking methods, the building library of HST science, and all the new people (I'm one of them&#33;)

Now on to comment your post... 5x5 is strength oriented, and I don't know too much about it since my strength hasn't hit a plateau with HST.

More importantly, you do have way too many exercises. I would assume you and your brother were working HIT style and you got glued to the exercises. IMO here is the exercise selection you should do:

Leg Press
Leg Curl (15's and 10's only)
Bench Press
Dips
Chins
Rows
Shrugs (15's, 10's)
Shoulder Press
Lat Raise (15's, 10's)
Inclined DB Curls (15's, 10's)
Skullcrushers (15's, 10's)
Standing Calf Raise
Weighted Crunches
Back Sit-Up

In the 15's and 10's, this can still be looked upon as a lot (13 w/o sit-ups) exercises. The idea of cancelling those isolations for the 5's and negs is by that time, the compound exercises should provide enough load for your muscles. Concentration on core compound movements is key to muscle hypertrophy.

About the # of sets, that is up to you. You could go 1x15,2x10,3x5 or choose to raise the volume of the beginning of your mesocycles (rep phases) and as the load progressively gets higher, lower the sets from 2-3 to 1-2.

If you're not doing squats, it is good that you're going with the leg presses. Deadlifts are still such a good exercise not to include. There are many variations of the devil's exercise: EXRX.net Exercise Directory

That's about as far as my simple advice will go for right now.. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come by. Great to have you back.

-Colby

If I were you I'd get as comfortable with squats and deadlifts as I could.

If your goal is to get big and strong, then unless you have an injury, you should have both in your routine (if I had to choose only one I'd deadlift). Most here alternate them. The same goes for dips/bench and chins/rows.

Back