Rest between sets and load

FamilyGuy

Hello all,
I am curious to know if there has been any scientific studies completed on the effect of fatigue on load and how this may relate to muscle growth.  More specifically, I am relating my question to the rest between multiple sets for the same bodypart and whether the fatigue that accumulates as a result of shorter rests (i.e. say 15 - 30 seconds) can offset the a.) reduced load as a result of attempting to achieve the same or similar repetition count as the first set and / or b.) using the same load but achieving something less in terms of repetition count as in the first set (i.e. got 10 reps the first set with 200lbs, rested 20 seconds and got 3 reps the second set).  Can manipulating a fatigue - tension balance offset focusing only on tension?  Is this good for growth?  I relate my question to training approaches that use rest - pause principles or decending sets (as examples).  Your thoughts?  Best regards,
Dave

Read Folland, Wretman, Bamman, Enoka, Deschannes and other papers related to tension, fatigue, strength deficits.

Richard Winnett's Analysis of the ACSM Stand on Progressive Resistance Training has some good references. You can find a link to it Here

Back