REALLY basic Newb question..

Ragz

Heya's. I've been reading like a mad fiend, and feel this is the program for me. However... being new to lifting, I honestly don't know HOW to find my 15rm, 10rm and 5rm. What's the procedure? Also, since I'm new, what if my max is too low to scale down from? (not sure if that's possible but I figured I'd ask)...
Thanks in advance!
Ragz

You have to TEST for your RMs. Just pick a load that is reasonably low and rep out with it for the chosen exercise. If you overshoot the rep target - i.e. you easily get 20 reps when testing for your 15RM - increase the load by 5-10lbs and test it again until you get closer to your target. If you only get 13 reps, for example - just pick the last load you tested with - it is better to underestimate than overestimate.

For your 15RMs, you could repeat 3 or more workout with the same load if the chosen increments take you down to 0 or even negative (-) loads when calculating your workouts. E.g. for chins, you could do all 6 workouts with your bodyweight only, if your 15RM happens to be exactly your own bodyweight.

Ah ok... that makes sense.... so if my 15rm is say 15lbs, and 5lbs is the lightest weight available, I could do the first 4 workouts at 5lbs, then 10lbs on the 5th and finally 15 on the 6th, if I'm reading you right...

Thanks for the fast answer!
-Ragz

Hi all,
Ragz if you don't mind I'd like to add a question to your thread since I'm in the same boat.
I've been reading every board and thread that's mentioned HST and am about to start.
I think though that I've missed something along the way. Do I ignore the fact that after 5 sessions on 15s my 15rm is not going to be what I tested before I started ? Is this just my old HIT prejudice coming through or do I need to factor that in somewhere along the way?
Thanks and Regards,
Justin Webb.

If you are new to weight training your 15RM by the end of the 15s will have skyrocketed. This doesn't compromise the program though, absolute maxes are not necessary for hypertrophy. If the weight starts to feel too light, you can up the increments as you proceed. So, if you are new to weights (or have taken a loooong SD) you don't have to find your 10RM and 5RM. You can estimate them after you finish the 15s.

Thanks, I'm still new enough to this game that I think your comments will apply.

Having trained infrequently for many years, I started my first serious training in Decemeber but only got 8 weeks into it when I injured my back (playing golf not training) and haven't been back since. I guess that's about as decondintioned as I'm going to get !!

I'll be training tonight to establish my 15RM.

Thanks for the help.

Justin

If you have old HIT prejudices, you're in for a psychological challenge working past them. I know I was.

Repeat after me:
"Intensity is not the magic."
"Failure is not the stimulus."

This is great information for a newbie. Let me ask another question:

Let's suppose that you have a friend who is working out with you, and this friend can't pull himself up to do chin-ups or the dips. In essence, this friend is either too weak for his weight or too heavy for his strength.

What do you tell your friend?

Here's what I've suggested, but I'm asking for advice: I've told my friend to use the Gravitron at the gym to lighten up his apparent weight and try setting a goal that way. But is that good enough?

Not familiar w/ that piece of equipment, but I assume it is an assisted dip or chin station.

If so, yes, have your friend use this; what you want to do is progress thru lighter & lighter amounts of assistance as you go thru your cycle. Still find your RM weights, as described above, only for this the weight will be the amount of assistance used & it will decline as you move thru the cycle.

Hope this makes sense!

yes, it does make sense - but as I am very unfamiliar with all the weight-lifting terms, I don't want to do something stupid.

I mean, my FRIEND doesn't want to do anything stupid.

Back