RDLs and Lower Back

Ruthenian

I had been doing RDLs much like this link RDL Picture, but most discussion and pictures seem to indicate it is more like a slightly more bent leg SLDL.  That position does seem to put more emphasis on the hams and glutes, so I have been mixing them up a bit to get more stretch.  Well, appears I let my back round too much and this morning it all pulled on me:  dropped the weights and spent 10 minutes lying on the floor praying that I would be able to stand up. It appears that a form where you sit back more is safer, but I wonder what experience/comments others have on this.  

Oh, and any advice on how to nurse my back to health is appreciated  
sad.gif

Really sorry to hear about your back. Not sure how bad the injury actually is now you have some time to take stock? but standard muscle pull recuperation techniques will apply and it would be good to get it checked out professionally too.

Re RDLs and SLDLs: My advice would always be to not stand on a platform and then lower the weight to the floor (in the case of standard oly size plates). I tried standing on a platform and lowering further for a while but I got problems with my hip joints and, in trying to get the extra range of motion, it was very difficult not to round my lower back putting it in a far less stable position. With knees unlocked and back kept flat it is possible to shift a great deal of weight safely when only lowering to the floor.

Now I am alternating ATG squats with regular deads I have dropped SLDLs altogether as I feel my hammies get a good workout from the other two.

Why don't you go with regular deadlifts. I start off the first rep squating to pull it up. Rippletoe's article was great for helping me perfect my form.

With my back history I wouldn't even DARE to try RDL's! But I have no trouble getting that 405 x 5 deadlift, sumo style. I just think you need to watch your back from now on, once an injury has occurred, and perhaps look into more upright work. I don't do SLDL's either because of that.

Back