Rate This Hst Cycle

2 sets per exercise for 15’s and 10’s and then 3 sets for the 5’s

Ive been in and out of gym for the last 4-5 years with minimal gains. Ive struggled to put on weight (probably due to diet), i’m 6 ft 5 and 100kg and always been skinny.

On a positive note Ive never followed a routine/plan before so excited to be on the second week of 15’s and i like having set exercises sets and reps it literally halves my gym time.

2 questions, i have tapered the weights so i dont zig zag. As my starting weights arent that much and because im using dumbells for some exercises i can only increase/decrease by 2kg increments on some exercises. Under the HST principles am i better keeping this plan ive done or am i better zig zagging and starting on really really light weights BUT incrementing up every workout?

Basically if you look at my db shoulder press weights, dropping back from my 10 rep max if i was incrementing every workout then i would start the 10’s on 12kg dumbells! Then 14kg, 16kg, 18kg, 20kg, finally my 10 rep max 22kg. Is this right?

im also failing or nearly failing on some exercises before my max, has anyone else had that before?

Last edited:
Zig zagging is fine

If you’re failing before your max then you set the maxes higher than they actually are. Lower them to a more accurate number.

Back