Questions on eatting right

ChadsMach1

It seems I remember reading on here somewhere that you can either build muscle or drop body fat. My goal with HST is to drop my body fat percentage (not sure what it is or how to measure it).

I am in this right now to reduce my body fat, so does that mean I need to cut out things through the day? SHould I stick to my oatmeal and low fat yogurt in the morning, sandwhich at lunch (Sprouted Oat bread with deli meats) then more yogurt or something fat free for a snack then head to the gym. Usually at the gym, I would just take my creatine and dextrose right off (half of each of what I should take), then begin my training. Warm up on the stairclimber for 3 minutes, then move to the treadmill for 10 minutes (Incline at 15 and speed at 2.5).Through out the course I usually drink 2-3 liters of water over 1 1-1/2 hours of weight lifting. When I'm done, I'd then drink a fat free smoothie (Yoplat Nourish), a glass of whey protein (Optimun Nutrition 2 scoops), then the other half of my creatine and dextrose.

However, when I read the article located at :

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/HSreport/iss02/ana_pro.html

I seems I'm not doing it right. Should I be consuming a protein drink rich in BCAA before I work out? I thought I should take them in afterwards? So now my question is what can I drink that will benefit me more? My gym carries a few protein drinks, ranging from 0 carbs to 109 grams of carbs (I forget the brand name but I will check tomorrow night). Should I just take amino acids as a seperate supplement?

Also, another question focuses on how I eat through the day. I try to take in my fats in the morning, and taper them off for the rest of the day. I don't feel hungry or tired at all doing this. I know with building muscle and increasing strength will start lowering my body fat %, but am I feeding my body enought and often enought to promote this (I try to eat every 4 hours other than the 6-8 hours I sleep at night). Usually no fats after 4pm for me other than tablespoon of extra virgin oliveoil after a workout.

I'm really excited about starting on HST, and can't wait to see what kind of results will come from it. I just like to be well prepared before starting anything new. Thanks everyone.

Hello Chad,

Firstly, just a small point, but there is actually a board dedicated to nutrition on this forum. This one is more about the exercise plan itself :confused:

Anyway, now as we're here, I'll just give you my brief views.

Basically, you will need to count your calories - fairly accurately - at least for a couple of weeks, or so.

You should be looking at bwt in lb X 12 as your basic guide to calories.
E.g; if you weight 200lb, your daily intake should be 200 X 12 = 2400kcals

split evenly into smaller meals - 6 is usual - meaning each meal should be 400kcals, roughly 2-3 hrs apart.

I like to take a 55% carb, 30% protein & 15% fat ratio, but that can vary, tho you shouldnt go much less than 10% fats I think(?)

There are specific articles on this forum relating to pre- and post- workout nutrition that you need to read for the specifics.

Bear in mind, the above is only a very rough guide, and there are many far more knowledgable people than me here, but, if you're just starting out, you shouldnt worry about getting in too deep.
Dont fall into the trap of "not being able to see the wood for the trees".

Good luck.

Brix.

Sorry for this post in this forum. I wasn't paying attention to what forum I was in when I made it. I will be more aware next time. ;)

I've read all the articles on the pre and post, but I couldn't determine if it was talking about nurtrition for getting bigger, or for someone in my shoes, looking to cut down some body fat, while building muscle.

Thanks

Back