Question(s) about incline press

I

imported_etothepii

I plan on switching from flat BP this cycle to incline BP next. Since I'm still pretty new, I'm not sure how much of an incline to do (my bench has three choices). Also, I know my max's for flat BP. Can I use those for incline, or is the movement different enough to warrant testing for new max's?

Use 30° for the incline. You'll need to find your max for it as well, as most people incline BP a little less than they do for flat BP.

If you don't have a giant protractor, just keep your bench at the lowest incline. You only really need a slight incline.

just use the first notch hole
biggrin.gif

hey i thought that the incline should be 30-45 degrees?...why is everybody sayinig use the first notch?

sorry for the noob question...

You want the lowest incline possible. That might equate to 30 degrees, but 45 degrees might be too much. You don't want to turn it into a shoulder exercise instead of a pec exercise.

Yep, just the first notch. I think unless your delts are way overdeveloped compared to your chest, your Incline bench max would be about ~10% lower than your flat bench.

Again, don't mean to hijack this thread, just an aside: If any of you guys saved html pages from a thread that Bryan posted in, please check your files for Bryan's teamicon and avatar. Just do a search for "hsadmin.gif". Bryan's avatar should also be there in the folder that contains the admin gif (named "uploaded_HSNTorsoAvatar.gif"). Thanks guys. That's just one of the few remaining minor quirks we have left, and that can be easily fixed with your help.
smile.gif

Regards,
-JV

30 is absolute max, I prefer something like 15 degrees, it is just a little off flat!

JV and Tot are right you want to hit the chest and not teh delts, else it is OK.

i like 15-25 max,depends on which bench i use.unless you are already doing dips for chest id suggest the cycle after change to decline which i feel works teh chest more than incline(although incline is very necessary for full upper chest developement).

Back