Protein after training

Heavy Duty dude

Someone who is pretty knowledgeable on training (Phd) told me that the protein taken after training is converted to glycogen to restore glycogen store (neoglucogenesis).

Is there any truth to this? If it is how can we still get some amino acid for muscle growth after training?

Anyone has any idea?

have carbs with the protein. And have more carbs in general. Gluconeogenesis is something that's more likely to happen in a carb shortage, for obvious reasons. If you have sufficient carbs post-workout, they will be preferentially used for glycogen repletion and you'll get to use the aminos for what they are best for.

The guy told me that protein after training WITH carbs accelerated carb repletion. So from what he said they are converted to glycogen anyways.

About what you said, think about it.. after your workout you are significantly carb depleted. It is impossible that you replete your glycogen with just the carbs you take post workout. It takes longer than that. So if you take some whey - which is absorbed within 30 minutes -, they whey will be in your system while you are still depleted.

See what I mean?

yea but the body isn't so single-minded. I'm not nearly familiar enough with the literature to call up a study, but I can assure you that the body doesn't have the single-minded pursuit of restoring glycogen at all costs, by using all forms of energy intake to restore muscle glycogen. While there is significant glycogen repletion post workout, there is also the heightened uptake of amino acids. Take a look at any study that tracks the leucine uptake of any kind of amino acid or protein supplement.

I think whoever you were talking to vastly oversimplified the nature of this.

it can cause some glycogen repletion, but its generally not the best method to do it by.
most of hte research is from endurance work, which is a different picture to resistance training anyway

This question is also related to something that we often hear, which is that the body cannot build muscle before it has recovered its glycogen - case of a carb-up for instance -, because, I guess, a lot of the calories - carbs for the biggest part -, go into the muscles and are not used in fact.

It is the same situation after training I suppose.

In other words, do we have enough calories/protein to build muscle before we have recovered our glycogen?

it is not that about 58% of protien is converted into CH regardless it is before or after the training ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ZMT @ Jan. 04 2005,9:02)]it is not that about 58% of protien is converted into CH regardless it is before or after the training ?
Exactly, regardless of what strategy there will still be a significant amount that is converted for glycogen repletion.

58%? that's a lot..

So it seems to be true.

butbut.gif

well, it is true that repleting glycogen and building muscle are sort of antagonistic goals. To make this short and sweet, obviously it's not impossible, because to build muscle, we exercise, and exercise depletes glycogen. Somehow, it works. :D

Just more reason to have lots (and lots) of carbs when bulking.

French or sourdough bread with olive oil.

Beef ribs and "anabolic" porterhouse.

Laying waste to a Costco chicken.

How can anybody not love bulking? :D

cheers,
Jules

Back