Pre-workout supplement intake

windjammer

So apparently it is best to take your supplements before your workout so as to increase intake into the muscles. I am currently taking creatine and a protein drink.

Here is the problem. I simply can't stomach taking almost anything within an hour of working out if I am going to be doing anything after the second week of 10s. I end up feeling sick etc.

I generally take the creatine before the workout and the protein afterwards, cause the protein is obviously harder to digest.

Your thoughts?

You left out the carbs. No wonder you get sick. Carbs for fuel dude.
I use about 50g whey with 50g maltodextrin and 50g dextrose. Or Vitargo, 100g.
Stays down nicely. Another camp uses fruit before a workout and after. That makes ME sick.

Well, the creatine I use has dextrose in it already...I guess I am just not taking it long enough before the workout to allow proper digestion. But combined with the protein, it is just too much sometimes.

Take your creatine with grape juice, that will solve your carb problems... as well as give you the spiked glucose level that I've heard helps your body utilize the creatine better. I have no idea if that's a crock of $hit or not, but certainly the carbs and sugar give me amazing pumps in the gym.

Also, try drinking your protein powder mixed with water... if you had previously been doing so with milk. I can't hardly keep down milk in the morning when I'm about to workout, but doing so with water is not too bad. I save the milk for any post-workout shakes.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Stays down nicely.</div>

Unless you're doing 75 dead lifts, right!?!?
wink.gif

<div>
(windjammer @ Jul. 15 2007,00:31)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So apparently it is best to take your supplements before your workout so as to increase intake into the muscles. I am currently taking creatine and a protein drink.

Here is the problem. I simply can't stomach taking almost anything within an hour of working out if I am going to be doing anything after the second week of 10s. I end up feeling sick etc.

I generally take the creatine before the workout and the protein afterwards, cause the protein is obviously harder to digest.

Your thoughts?</div>
Start with more dilute drinks than you have tried in the past. Use plenty of water but don't drink more than 12 ounces total.

It seems the problem you are having is related to gastric emptying and perhaps some osmotic issues. Both of these can be fixed by reducing the concentration of the solution in your stomach and by ensuring that the total volume of liquid is &quot;reasonable&quot;.

-bryan

Back