Post WO Shake

Mad Amos

Bryan,

I read where you stated once that you don't advocate consuming carbs with the immediate post-WO meal (preferring protein only at this time and eating carbs an hour later) and that you consume creatine before working out.

Since this flies in the face of everything I've ever heard or read (and since it doesn't seem to be covered in detail in the "Eating for Size" article) on the topic, would you do me the favor and honor of detailing your complete pre and post-WO meal/shake strategy, outlining exactly when to consume these meals, what to put in them and in what ratios, what supplements to take at these times, etc.?

Thanks $1,000,000 in advance!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Amos @ May 08 2003,11:06)]Bryan,
I read where you stated once that you don't advocate consuming carbs with the immediate post-WO meal (preferring protein only at this time and eating carbs an hour later) and that you consume creatine before working out.
Bryan advocates consuming carbs if gaining is the goal, especially prior to training

Creatine is taken before training, because training increases skeletal muscle uptake of creatine. But once you actually get the muscles saturated, it wont matter when you take the creatine.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Since this flies in the face of everything I've ever heard or read (and since it doesn't seem to be covered in detail in the "Eating for Size" article) on the topic, would you do me the favor and honor of detailing your complete pre and post-WO meal/shake strategy, outlining exactly when to consume these meals, what to put in them and in what ratios, what supplements to take at these times, etc.?
Thanks $1,000,000 in advance!!!
Dont stress about the small bits. There are no exact ratios, there are no perfect meals etc.
I mean, one research used 6g essentail aminos, a extremely small dose (and from memory, they only used 6 because it offered a small advantage over 3g). It would be preferably to have hyperaminoacidemia, but this can be achieved by a shake prior to training, or a solid meal a little before training.
You can have a shake before training or after, depedning if you want to keep it down. And with the little research available, if you have it after,its best to get it RIGHT after, not 2 hours later.
Just get some food prior, some sugars during (if you react nicely) and some food after. Whether this comes from the 'perfect' combination of protein powder nad carbs, or something that tastes a lot better, doesnt really matter.

Hi Mad Amos,

From Pre/Post Exercise Nutrition

In closing...

Pre- and post-exercise nutrition is critical if one wants to maximize the anabolic effects of exercise. The pre-exercise meal should be high in a quickly digestible protein. This will ensure high delivery of amino acids to the muscle tissue. Carbohydrates can also betaken in to minimize glycogen loss and suppress catabolic hormones. Fat should be avoided pre-exercise unless the exercise is forendurance.

The post exercise meal should consist of carbohydrate, protein and perhaps a small amount of essential fats, in a form that is easily and quickly digestible. There are many meal replacement products that fit the bill. Just pick the one you like the most. Don't worry about sugar content because right after a workout, fat storage is not a big issue. A liquid meal is the most practical method of post-exercise feeding although it is probably not essential. The ratio of macronutrients depends somewhat on the nature of the training session. An emphasis on high glycemic carbs, complete readily digestible proteins such as whey, egg, or high quality casein,
and essential fats such as fish or flax oil will meet the criteria for an effective post exercise meal.

Link to article

Pre / Post Pre/Post Nutrition

Back