PERFECT postworkout drink!

_Simon_

hi everyone!
what do u guys think would be the perfect postworkout shake???

i've read that obviously whey protein should be in it, but also dextrose and maltodextrin (and even 50/50 ratio of them)

any thoughts?
rock.gif
?

thanks!!!

Simon

there was something in the book Scrawny to Brawny (don't buy it) that gave ratios, but no recipe. there a re many prodcuts that claim they're the perfect post-workout drink, but they might be self-serving
biggrin.gif

at this point in my lifting career I think the difference b/t something that's "optimal" & somehting that's darn good is about nil for anyone who isn't a pro. I stick w/ the old standby- milk, whey, & fruit.

I'm sure this isn't the perfect postworkout drink, but my recipe.. which takes all of about 2 mins to make is:

Half a glass of milk
1 scoop of whey strawberry flavored
1 spoonful of peanut butter
1 banana
Blend it all of voila!

Gives me about 35 grams of protein, taste good, and the banana has a good amount of carbs.

Adding to that, I used to put a raw egg or two in there, Rocky style
smile.gif
. But, I've heard so many conflicting arguments about that giving you a biotin deficiency that I decided to just play it safe and not put them in anymore Curious about this actually, since I've joined this board... I'm sure Morgoth knows something about that.

Since I have started working out in the early morning I don't worry so much about a post-workout drink as I do a pre-workout drink. I drink some whey protein and water and a glass of grape juice about 20 min. pre-workout. Then I usually have some eggs and wheat toast with orange juice for breakfast about 45 min. after my workout. Sometimes I will have some more whey and water after my workout. Especially if for some reason I can't have breakfast. I sometimes run a little late for work.
wink.gif

Why do I worry more about pre-workout than post workout? Well, because most of the studies I have read in the last couple of years suggest that good pre-workout nutrition is more important than post-workout nutrition as far as protein synthesis is concerned.

But I have also heard that chocolate milk is a good post workout drink.

<div>
(UFGatorDude30 @ Jul. 12 2007,18:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Adding to that, I used to put a raw egg or two in there, Rocky style
smile.gif
. But, I've heard so many conflicting arguments about that giving you a biotin deficiency that I decided to just play it safe and not put them in anymore Curious about this actually, since I've joined this board... I'm sure Morgoth knows something about that.</div>
What, I`ve earned the promotion to raw food-stuffs expert?
biggrin.gif
The dude that ate raw-bacteria because of health benefits was someone else, I`m afraid I`m a slave of modern commodities like fire and thus cooking
wink.gif

That being said, since I never cared for doing Rocky stuff, I didn`t research the thing all that much, and I can't seem to find anything but three odd(ish) studies that involve both raw eggs and biotin deficiency, none of them with text freely available. Aaron may be the one to ask about this, he's far more likely to know something about it than me.

I agree w/ Bull - pre is more important than post if you did the pre...in other words, you allready have a good protein/carb load in you from the pre-shake unless you have the digestive abilities of Homer Simpson.

ok thanks guys!

hmmm, i have to disagree with a few things sorry! ;D
first, i thought that hi GI carbs are best after a workout (eg, simple sugars, dextrose, maltodextrin...)
two, i also thought that fats should never be a part of your postworkout

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi4.htm

this is a great reference (i'm suuure you guys know john berardi ;))

today i went to melbourne to get cheeeeap dextrose and maltodextrin, it's daaamn cheap, i recommend all of ya to make your OWN supplements hehe, like jeff anderson recommends ay, just get the main ingredients of like a high gi carb, whey, bcaa's, creatine, u know stuff like that

anyways, peace oooout! ;)

Simon

Please don't quote Berardi as your reference.

Postworkout: Do you REALLY think that fats/carbs in this are going to matter?

Okay, how about this: Do you REALLY think that your stomach is going to be empty postworkout or preworkout for that matter? Sure, if you are working out after you just got up, but that's about it.

The moral of the story is: Just freaking get some protein and stuff after your workout. It isn't going to matter as much as you think, as long as you get some protein preworkout. I ALWAYS put fats in my post AND PRE shakes, and I haven't like, died or anything. Also, I keep getting bigger and stronger as time goes on, so it must be working.
I don't know why people obsess so much over this, especially when they are still at the point where doing/eating pretty much anything will illicit growth. No wonder why the bro's always say &quot;Just shutup and lift!&quot; but I think we should change it to &quot;Just shutup and EAT!&quot;

Seriously, bro.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">The moral of the story is: Just freaking get some protein and stuff after your workout. </div>

I completely agree!

As I said before, protein shake w/milk before and after is perfect.

all i have for post meal is:

1 scoop of protein w/ milk
5g creatine w/ gatorade
turkey sandwich

total - 44g of protein.

My postworkout shake usually looks like:

2 cups whole or 2% milk
5 or 6 scoops of whey
1/4 cup of olive oil or 1 cup of some sort of ice cream
2-3 table spoons of sugar, depending on if I went with olive oil or ice cream

total around 100-120 grams of protein, around 900-1200 calories

Great for bulking, not so much for cutting.

Pre-workout I drink whey with water.

Post-workout, I drink a 50 cal serving of Gatorade with creatine. Rinse the cup and have a cup of milk with whey. After my shower, I eat something -- anything.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Jul. 13 2007,12:17)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Please don't quote Berardi as your reference.

Postworkout: Do you REALLY think that fats/carbs in this are going to matter?

Okay, how about this: Do you REALLY think that your stomach is going to be empty postworkout or preworkout for that matter? Sure, if you are working out after you just got up, but that's about it.

The moral of the story is: Just freaking get some protein and stuff after your workout. It isn't going to matter as much as you think, as long as you get some protein preworkout. I ALWAYS put fats in my post AND PRE shakes, and I haven't like, died or anything. Also, I keep getting bigger and stronger as time goes on, so it must be working.
I don't know why people obsess so much over this, especially when they are still at the point where doing/eating pretty much anything will illicit growth. No wonder why the bro's always say &quot;Just shutup and lift!&quot; but I think we should change it to &quot;Just shutup and EAT!&quot;

Seriously, bro.</div>
Yes, either way you'll make 'GAINS' but if you want to optimize your gains, that's a different story. Here a look at this link

http://www.discussbodybuilding.com/Get_mor....m

You say, and I quote &quot;It isn't going to matter as much as you think, as long as you get some protein preworkout&quot;, but do you have any solid, concrete evidence on this claim?

&quot;Just shutup and lift!&quot;/&quot;Just shutup and EAT!&quot;

It's like those quotes, &quot;No Pain No Gain&quot;, as much as they sound good, it's far from the truth. I'm sure if you just &quot;shup-up and ate&quot; without knowing any of the techniques used such as &quot;eat 4-6 meals a day&quot;, etc, I doubt you have made the same gains, as eating say &quot;2-3 meals a day, stuffying youself till you're full&quot;, etc.

Back