Ok... I've decided to pay more attention my diet

ZeroAkarui

I'm 17, 6'1 and about 180 (scale i have says 174, but i'm pretty sure the one at the doctor's office said like 180-185). I'm int he middle of the second week of 10s and I've decided to keep better track of my diet.
I'm plannin on having 2 protien shakes a day (mega whey), which come out to about 52 grams of protien each (40 from whey and 12 from the 1 1/2 cups of milk). So that's 104 grams from shakes alone.
I keep seeing different answers, so I wanted to ask you guys. How much protien should I be getting? is it like 1 gram/lb or 1 gram/kg or what?
Thanks.

1 gram / lb. of body weight is the "norm". Check out the "Eating for Size" article if you haven't already. There's some good stuff there.

Good luck!

Mikey

Yeah, definitely check out "Eating for size".

Usually, though, I get 0.8-1.2/g per lbs of body weight...

Actually it is .7 to 1gm/Kg of FFM. But most just use 1gm/Lb of total body weight.

I've heard that eatin too much protien can give you kidney problems. But i've also heard that there is no evidence to back that up. Which is true?
Also, I'm planin on doin this... Drinkin 2 protien shakes a day (40 gram for shake, 12 for milk - protien) and a protien bar (maybe a 40 g one too) That's add up to 144 grams of protien right there. I weight about 175-185 (home scale says 174, but i'm pretty sure doctors said like 183), so would that combined with normal food throughout the day be too much protien? Thanks
worship.gif

Kidney probs and protein can happen but generally they are predisposed to kidney issues to begin with. A healthy kid like yourself shouldn't have a problem, as long as you haven't had kidney issues. Always as a precaution drink plenty of water.

I eat about 200 grams per day, only one shake, the rest in food. That's about 1.4 grams per Kg of FFM for me and I am going to be 40 in a month+, I haven't had a problem yet.

Well really I'm askin cuz I'm 17, and I do a lot so I really don't think I've been gettin enough protien just through food, even though I've been tryin to. So I wanted to do this just to make sure.

I don't know about supplementing in 144g of protein, that's a tad much IMO, you should be getting a lot from solid foods (meat, dairy).

As for how much, it's been safely tested that 1.3g/lb of bodyweight showed no adverse effects on kidneys. But be sure to drink plenty of water. So for you that comes out to 234g a day.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (EctoSquat @ July 17 2004,9:47)]As for how much, it's been safely tested that 1.3g/lb of bodyweight showed no adverse effects on kidneys. But be sure to drink plenty of water. So for you that comes out to 234g a day.
Although that quantity might be safe, it isn't the optimal amount.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Manic @ July 18 2004,8:15)]After reading "eating for size", take a look at the FAQ. Good info on nutrition there.
Here's some of what Manic is refering too.
Quote from the FAQ
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Actually, most guys take in too much protein. It isn't that too much protein will hurt them - assuming they are healthy to begin with - but too much protein can actually inhibit gains. I know, it sounds totally contradictory to what you read everywhere, but it is true. Let me explain.

The ability of the body to grow is effected by the ratio of protein to carbs. It is an inverted U shaped curve - or bell curve - where the top or highest point of the curve is a ratio of 12-15% protein to carbs (diet consisting of ~15% protein). At one peak you have all carbs, at the other you have all protein. It has to do with thermogenesis and hormones.

So, if a skinny guy wants to gain weight, he needs to plan a diet where he gets 15% of his calories from protein.
Now this may seem contradictory to the general rule of 1 gram per pound bodyweight. I'm not saying that a guy can't gain weight with more than 15% calories from protein, I'm only saying that weight gain is greatest at 15%. He will be ok with an intake of 0.75 grams/pound FFM to gain muscle. In fact, everybody should use FFM instead of bodyweight to plan protein intake, but sometimes it's just too hard to figure it out, so most people use bodyweight.

For a guy who isn't all that skinny, or even a little fat, he should increase his protien intake to 20-25%. This will increase thermogenesis and prevent some fat gain as calories increase above maintenance.

Back