iceman0625

The original calls for

1 cup of shortening (VERY BAD)
1 cup of reg sugar and brown sugar
2 eggs
1 spoon of vanilla
1.5 cuts of flour
3 cups of oats

I was wondering if you guys either had a healthier way to make these or could help me edit this list to be a bit more healthy

In place of shorting I used apple sauce
In place of reg sugar I used Splenda.
Could I use my whey protien in place of the brown sugar??

Try it and let us know...I'm curious.
My ex used to make cookies with yogurt instead of butter or shortening...I know, I know, dairy fat, but it's better than sho't'nin'.

You might also try a decent molasses instead of brown sugar, if the protein powder isn't enough. It's good stuff. A little molasses goes a long way, though...don't use too much or there might be a bitter undertaste. I make a cornmeal & whole wheat bread and add about a tablespoon of molasses to a small loaf.

J.

How about raisins or chopped dates? They would give you plenty of sweetness, and fiber as well (not to mention other nutrients that no sugar contains).

Yep, I add raisins to mine and it works really well. You could add some flax seed too if you have some around.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (iceman0625 @ July 10 2005,9:16)]The original calls for
1 cup of shortening (VERY BAD)
1 cup of reg sugar and brown sugar
2 eggs
1 spoon of vanilla
1.5 cuts of flour
3 cups of oats
I was wondering if you guys either had a healthier way to make these or could help me edit this list to be a bit more healthy
In place of shorting I used apple sauce
In place of reg sugar I used Splenda.
Could I use my whey protien in place of the brown sugar??
You can make a lot of things better in this way, but cookies are one of the hardest. the main reason is that the saturated fats and sugar are what give them their texture (be it chewy or crispy) and mouth feel. I've tried this before (with applesauce and spenda) and they end up kind of like scones or little cakes. If you don't care about this, then give it a shot - I think they'll still taste pretty good but nothing like the oatmeal cookies my mom made.

I have no comment on the whey - sounds like it won't work, but I hate to be so negative. If you try it, though, please post the results.

Back