Not meeting my second cycle goals.

battlechaser

I have completed one cycle of HST. I lowered the reps a bit to do more weight as I am trying to gain a little more size and strength. I have done 2 weeks of 8 reps. 2 weeks of 6 reps 2 weeks of 4 reps then another 2 weeks of 4 reps with my 4 rep maxes. I then took a week off for deconditioning. On my next cycle I added 5 pounds to all my maxes then started over. I was not able to complete the reps for my 6 rep max. On my 4 rep on my second to last workout, which would have been my original cycle max I felt weeker than the first cycle. I doubt tomorrow when I do my maxes that I will be able to complete them. Anyone have any suggestions? PS This is my first post so a quick shout out to all my fellow lifters.

8,6,4,rep maxes are not that far apart maybe your working to close to faliure..personaly i feel the heavy weights are easier after i have done the 15s.
but if you dont want to do that drop the cycle you are doing to 6wks then sd.
or change to 12,8,6. or 10,7,4.good luck :D

What do you mean too close to failure? Like on the last 2-3 workouts of a given rep range I am struggling pretty bad and on some exercises (i.e. bench press, curls) I am losing my form. Is that bad? When we are talking max weight for a given rep range are we talking max weight with perfect form? If that's the case then oops hehe. Please let me know. I really want to get big and stuff. This is the best workout schedule for my busy work schedule.

Training to failure is a principal of HIT... lift till you can't do it anymore. When you apply HST principals, you lift a couple reps shy of failure.

And yes - use perfect form. There's no point to cheat the weights and risk injury.

-Colby

HIT = High Intensity Training

A type of training method where you go all out each time you hit the gym, you can only do it fairly infrequently though so we don't use it. Also it goes against HST principles. You always stay short of failure, except maybe on the last day of each rep scheme and only for the very last rep.

Battle - you are trying too hard, if your 4 rep maxes where right then you should have been OK to get them, but you could be hitting just a bad day. Or you could be low on carbs?

Faz is right, the rep maxes are too close that is why Bryan designed the 15/10/5 principle.

It just works best!
happy.gif

Try it in your next cycle with the Vanilla method and throw in basically just compounds, throw in some iso's and metabolic work from the 5's onwards, and EAT BIG.

Good luck mate!

Back