Newbie Q

Steve Wedan

I posted this on the HST Forum and got no response. Maybe posting it here is the better place. Here's my question:

HST seems to have as a priority avoiding CNS burnout. Should I therefore assume that reps are not to be done continuously -- that they should be done as a powerlifter does them, with a pause between reps? By the same token, should overall workout pacing be relaxed, as opposed to minimizing rests between sets?

TIA,

Steve

Steve, you may have posted during a busy time and your post got pushed to the second page. A lot of people who post frequently don't usually look beyond the first page.

The reps should be performed continuosly although you can allow for a second or so in the stretched or contracted position if you prefer. Most people do about a 1 second concentric rep and a 2 to 3 second eccentric rep with very little pause in between.

In general, rest periods of 30 to 90 seconds are acceptable. I usually do about 30 seconds on the 15's, 60 seconds on the 10's and 90 seconds on the 15's.

Sorry, about your question being overlooked. Looks like O&G to the rescue
thumbs-up.gif

I really appreciate both your responses, guys. It's an interesting subject to me, especially when a bunch of people (e.g., Charles Staley and Chad Waterbury of t-mag) say you'll recruit more muscle fiber if you do the positive part of the rep explosively and another group (e.g., Pavel Tsatsouline) often advising "grinding" the reps. Both, though, advise pausing between reps to help keep from working "on the nerve," as the old-timers called it.

I've read through a lot of the HST site in the last week and don't recall rep performance (their speed or pausing between them) being addressed.

Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I've read through a lot of the HST site in the last week and don't recall rep performance (their speed or pausing between them) being addressed.

Concentric velocity doesn't make that much of a difference in MU recruitment. Now, training explosively can, because you're initiating the myotatic reflex at the bottom of the movement. The reflex sends a charge which temporarily increases the effective tension and MU recruitment.

But, more or less, weight and fatigue will dictate MU recruitment.

cheers,
Jules

Back