Newbie looking for guidance

nirvana

Hi, I'm a complete newbie with bodybuilding and fitness in general really. For the past few years I've led a slacker lifestyle. Dropped out of school, stopped playing sports, all that good stuff. I want to get back on track, especially physically. I heard about this site today, so I read the forums and stuff for an hour or two. Everyone seems really helpful and stuff, so I figured I should ask some really newbie questions. :x

(I'm 18, 5'10, 135lb ish)

1. Is there somewhere on this site that I over looked, or another place where I can learn about techniques with pictures and stuff? I don't know what you guys are talking about when you use terms like "Stiff Legged Deadlift" or "EZ Bar Curls".

2. Is it possible to do HST without going to the gym? If so, what equipment should I have?

3. What should my diet be? I want to gain weight and get some more energy. Should I take vitamins or drink protein shakes and whatnot? Right now I just eat whatever I want whenever I want. I don't put any thought into it.

4. When should I start? What should I start with? What should my schedule be like?

5. Any other tips you might have.
biggrin.gif

Obviously, I don't expect full answers to these questions. But, if someone could tell me a place that may answer them that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome!

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">1. Is there somewhere on this site that I over looked, or another place where I can learn about techniques with pictures and stuff? I don't know what you guys are talking about when you use terms like &quot;Stiff Legged Deadlift&quot; or &quot;EZ Bar Curls&quot;.
</div>

http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Is it possible to do HST without going to the gym? If so, what equipment should I have?</div>

Yes. You could get by with a bench and a set of barbells. Would be nice if the bench had support for squats. Something for pull ups or dips would be great too. Just want your equipment to be able to handle the big lifts. Squats, deadlifts, bench press, chins, dips, military press, bent over rows. You can do most of those exercises with just a basic bench. Definitely could do bench press, deadlifts and bentover rows with nothing more than a basic bench.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">. What should my diet be? I want to gain weight and get some more energy. Should I take vitamins or drink protein shakes and whatnot? Right now I just eat whatever I want whenever I want. I don't put any thought into it.
</div>

The diet really depends on what you goal is. If you want to gain weight and muscle I would eat 16-20x your bodyweight and see how it goes.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">4. When should I start? What should I start with? What should my schedule be like?
</div>

You can really start anytime. I might take some time to study and plan a little bit. Learn the basic lifts like the bench, deadlifts, squats, rows, etc. before starting a cycle or anything. Once you are comfortable with performing those lifts and have your equipment or have joined a gym then we can tackle getting a specific workout planned. You can find the HST FAQ e-book in the FAQ section. That's a good read.

Hope this helps some.

Keystone

With the help of a pull up bar, folding chairs (for dips and pushups), hack squats, and push ups while wearing a backpack full of weights, I have been able to progress through my first HST cycle without a bench. Just some Sears bar bells, and a few used plates from Play it Again Sports. I plan on getiing a bench in the future though.

Tips: I started lifting in January. I did lots of different lifts, different workouts for a few months. Once I was comfortable with my experience and knowledge base, and I was able to determine some max's, I started my first HST cycle (I'm a little over half way through it now.)

It will take some money. I had to buy some weights (Sears cheapies, like I said earlier), and I am buying some whey powder and extra groceries to keep the calorie and protein intake high. Diet is a of of work. Check out www.fitday.com for a free tool to manage calories and diet.

Also, download the ebook here on the HST forum and read it. Read over some people's workout programs, and when you're ready, set up your own. Remember it will take eight weeks of working out three times per week, so if you have travel plans, scheduled surgery, or whatever, you may want to wait until you have an 8 week block.

When I first started HST, all I had was a bench and a bar with about 200 lbs in weights. Eventually you'll outgrow that and need more weight. Also, once you start squatting more than 150 lbs, having to press the weight up to get it on your shoulders gets tiresome, so like Keystone said, a bench that doubles as a squat rack is a good idea. Many olympian style benches feature this.
But if you don't have a bench like that, just do deadlifts. I still work out primarily at home and I'm still getting good results, so you definitely don't have to go to the gym to be able to gain mass.

Keystone's recommendation of 16-20 times bodyweight in lbs for your diet is spot on as well. When I was real little, I had to eat 18-20 times my weight in calories to gain. I'm going to assume that you have a fast metabolism like I do, since you're only 135 lbs. Well... you're going to have to learn to eat! I had to eat to the point where it felt like I was going to puke with each bite. Eventually you get used to it though and packing in the food becomes quite easy.

I'm willing to bet that if you do the routine that keystone suggested and eat a ton that you could hit 180 lbs by the end of the year without becoming a huge fattie.

Nirvana, I see you said you are new on this.... If you can and if you can afford it I would recommend you to spend 3 months at a gym, so you can especially see and ask what good form is when doing exercises...... it is not just swinging weights up and downs..... it is not rocket science but you need to have good form in order to 1) avoid injuries, which are very frequent and 2) get better results

another advice.... go back to school before it is too late

Actually, most gyms that I've been to, would have to be the last place that I would want to learn form from.

Get these books if you can. I have the first one. It's great.

The Insiders Tell All To Weight Training Technique by Stuart McRobert
or
Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe

I'd say get one of these books before you start to do anything with weights , so you learn good form from the start and don't have to waste time.

Read the FAQ's on this site and the E-Book too for knowledge.

hi can anyone help i joined a gym in january and ive lost two stone im now 9 stone 4 what i want now is the best way to build up my arms abit and get a 4pack

Jenny: you have come to the right place. Welcome!

Basically, you need to hit the gym at least two or, preferably, three times a week. Do a full body workout (even though you only mention building up your arms a bit and getting a four pack). Working your back and chest will give your arms plenty of work and working your legs will burn lots of calories.
smile.gif

If you decide to do an HST cycle, base your workout around compound movements so that you can be done in less than an hour.

There are a ton of threads outlining basic exercise routines, so do a quick search. If you haven't read the FAQs and want to know why HST is such a great way to train then that's worth a read too.

As far as a four pack goes, the only way, I'm afraid, is to gradually lose more bodyfat. Keeping your calories at maintenance and adding in regular training will help but eventually you would need to drop them a bit lower than maintenance and/or up your level of activity. Again, there's a ton of info here to get you started and then, if you need more help, post again.

Also, bear in mind, that unless you have over 15% body fat right now it will be very hard to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. If you want your four pack then dieting and training are the order of the day. Once you have reached your required bodyfat level you can start to increase your calories again and aim to add a bit of extra muscle. Something else to bear in mind: you may be surprised at how much bigger your muscles appear to be when your bodyfat is low.

I'm not sure what a healthy level of bodyfat is for a woman but my guess is that it is slightly higher than for a man? Maybe somebody else can chime in with this info.

Anyway, hope that helps a bit.

Back