New to Hst & working out

Zackr7

Hi my main question is, is HST designed for people new to lifting? I get the feeling that its more designed for people who have been lifting for a while and are making more moderate gains in strength and so is a easy way to keep progression going if you know what i mean.

Where as i read everywhere that newbies make strength gains very quickly anyway & that people new to lifting can make very good gains in both strength and mass on any training programme simply because our bodys adapt more quickly at the start.

So is there any beneficial reason for me to be mainly focusing on hypertrophy right now or should i just stick to the normal idea of pushing to failure on all my lifts all the time for several sets & keep going that way until i stop seeing any improvements?

Thanks for any replies.

Zack

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">So is there any beneficial reason for me to be mainly focusing on hypertrophy right now or should i just stick to the normal idea of pushing to failure on all my lifts all the time for several sets &amp; keep going that way until i stop seeing any improvements?</div>

I would never give such advice, training to failure is just silly! Take up HST now and you will never regret it! As a matter of fact HST is suitable for all, newbies end up making the most gains, but that is a desirable side effect, I'd say!
wink.gif

Most of us have wasted enough time on HIT nonsense and would have gladly enjoyde HST if we only knew it existed then.

You most certainly will learn the best way of building muscle as well as have the best advice on how to do it!
biggrin.gif

Remember this: HST was designed from a lot of strength training research available, for those were the people who did the most research on muscle growth and the reasons as to why and how it happened.

You're in the right track
wink.gif

I was in your situation not too long ago. I started weight lifting in January of this year. I just now finished my first HST cycle. So, I had a few months to experiment a little. I don't see why someone couldn't start into HST. As long as you know how to do the verious lifts. If you have a mentor, or some other resource to make sure your form is correct, then you should go for it.

Alternatively, make up a full body routine, and lift 2 or 3 times per week for a few weeks just to get used to weight lifting. You will get a good sense for what weights are appropriate for you, you will be able to practice various exercises...

Whether you go HST or not, avoid faiure. Current research has shown that lifting to failure has no benefit in either strength or hypertrophy than stopping one or two reps before failure.

Hello,
I would like to suggest something for newbie's, a &quot;break in period&quot;.
I think there is a problem starting with HST as a &quot;first&quot; routine as in never worked out or not worked on in years.
Before starting HST, test your maxes in the 15s, 10s, 5s.
Then do ABC routine (MWF), where Monday you do your all your 15, Wed all your 10's &amp; Fri all your 5s.
Do this for 2-4 weeks increasing the weights as you get stronger. Also during this time, you will also be working on proper form. At the end of this &quot;break in period&quot; you will have new maxes, better form, over most of your sorness &amp; ready for a 14 day SD.
I think there should be a &quot;little base&quot; to start with, rather than learning on the fly while knee deep in HST. This will also help reduce injury.

Omega

Example, ever see someone bench press for the first time. When they try to push the bar, its all over the place. They haven't developed the coordination of the support muscles to push it straight up.

LOL. I remember dumping weights from benching a few times. First you lose a plate on one side, then it tips to the other side and another plate falls and then back again like a seesaw out of control. The ultimate gym embarrassment.

<div>
(Omega_man @ May 31 2006,11:16)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Hello,
I would like to suggest something for newbie's, a &quot;break in period&quot;.
I think there is a problem starting with HST as a &quot;first&quot; routine as in never worked out or not worked on in years.
Before starting HST, test your maxes in the 15s, 10s, 5s.
Then do ABC routine (MWF), where Monday you do your all your 15, Wed all your 10's &amp; Fri all your 5s.
Do this for 2-4 weeks increasing the weights as you get stronger. Also during this time, you will also be working on proper form. At the end of this &quot;break in period&quot; you will have new maxes, better form, over most of your sorness &amp; ready for a 14 day SD.
I think there should be a &quot;little base&quot; to start with, rather than learning on the fly while knee deep in HST. This will also help reduce injury.

Omega

Example, ever see someone bench press for the first time. When they try to push the bar, its all over the place. They haven't developed the coordination of the support muscles to push it straight up.</div>
I think that makes a lot of sense.

<div>
(Old and Grey @ May 31 2006,12:03)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">LOL. I remember dumping weights from benching a few times. First you lose a plate on one side, then it tips to the other side and another plate falls and then back again like a seesaw out of control. The ultimate gym embarrassment.</div>
LOL, I was with someone who did that, next a swimming pool. Guess where the weights ended up...in the deep end. They had to be picked up &amp; &quot;walked&quot; out.

Anyway, I still think a &quot;break in period&quot; is just the right thing for newbies.

Big O

Big O

Its a rather comprehensive way of breaking someone in so to say!

NOthing wrong with the suggestion and after all what is wrong with a mini HST before the real thing!

<div>
(Omega_man @ May 31 2006,14:30)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Anyway, I still think a &quot;break in period&quot; is just the right thing for newbies.

Big O</div>
I tend to agree and will add I didn't think this before but as I have started helping newbs with their training more and more I have come to realize that HST or it's derivatives is better suited as someone gains some experience and is passed the immediate neural conditioning aspect. A DUP as Omega suggests or even a straight linear 3X8 subfailure, learning form and control, would be a good idea. I think newbs can do HST but don't expect a lot of growth as the first cycle or two will probably be more learning based than anything else. Just my .02

i agree with dan and big o..but i think the best way would be to do a hst routine without the progression on each workout.
ie..2 wks of 15s m,w,f, on last workout find 15rm
2 wks of 10s last workout find 10rm
2 wks 5s last workout find 5rm
sd for 9 days then start a cycle
good luck
cool.gif

Back