new routine?

oco

Fairly new to HST. Would like to keep sets low-ish, do to ectomorphic, 41yo body. What do you think?

A
Leg Press
Calf raise

Chin-ups
overhead press

shrug
push-ups

B
Deadlift
Calf raise

Bench press
Uni DB row

Curls
rear delts

Last edited:
Looks fairly solid to me. One question: why the dumbbell row and not a straight Barbell Row?

Probably to save his lower back

Yup, since I already tend to fry my lower back with both squats and deads, I prefer to do my rows with dumbbells, lying down on a bench.

Kroc Rows, which seem to be one of the most hard-core exercises I've seen, uses dumbbells (BIG dumbbells!).

Yup, since I already tend to fry my lower back with both squats and deads, I prefer to do my rows with dumbbells, lying down on a bench.

Kroc Rows, which seem to be one of the most hard-core exercises I've seen, uses dumbbells (BIG dumbbells!).

Ah, but you didn't have squats in your first posting. (c: That said, good idea. I may do the same in my workout to save my own lower back.

I'm an "ectomorph" too but I don't subscribe to the idea that we need different training methods or volumes. Somatotypes (ecto, meso, endo) were developed by a psychologist who was attempting to draw a correlation between people's anthropomorphics (how we are shaped) and our personalities. The theory is now defunct. But somewhere back in time bodybuilders picked up on the somatype theory and ascribed training characteristics to it. Here's the wikipedia article on the history of this idea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somatotypes

Back