Negative Only Training

S

Sharivan

I actualy train in negative only style and found that it's much more demanding for muscles than conventional training but much LESS demanding on CNS. Most people say to avoid negative only training because it'll make you overtrained. I realy found the OPPOSITE to be true. It's EASY on CNS and HARD on MUSCLES.
I feel fresh and not drained after a few sets with super heavy weights (for me) even if I train with my 1-3 negative 1RM I'm able to do it again 1-2 day(s) after ! It's not the case if I do a conventional training even with much lighter weights. I try to avoid positive training I only test my strength once a while.

I would like to know if you experimented the same thing, Negative easy on CNS, hard on muscles.

Another thing it that people often say that negative are dangerous for joints, but I don't do ANY warm up and I have absolutely NO PROBLEM !!! When I do conventional training I need a few warm up sets if I want to do a 1RM, I can do a negative 1RM on Dips (full range) without any warm up and maybe only a little warm up (some BW reps) for Chins.

Is it the same for you ? What's science says ?

I already read it many times. If the growth was 10x higher with negative only work I should have noticed some* size gains which is not the case.
* only 'some' because I already did negative, but not pure negative ~20-40% heavier.

If negative are so good for hypertrophy, WHY HST is not BASED purely on NEGATIVE ?
Insteed of 15s 10s 5s 5s negative, WHY NOT :
15s negative 10s negative 5s negative 1-3s negative ?

Overtraining ? Bryan said that there is no problem with negative and it's also what I notice when I do them. In fact it's much easier than conventional training. The positive drain CNS which apparently the negative doesn't.

The supramaximal weight that can be tolerated with eccentric only training is astouding. The case leads to a greater amount of myotrauma which is associated with greater satellite cell activation and is the rudimentary basis for musculoskeletal hypertrophy. However, the application is quite difficult. In terms of the physical action of performing the negative exercise with such weights & the sometimes unbearable DOMS associated with such large loads, it can be difficult to implement.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sharivan @ May 28 2004,6:33)]I actualy train in negative only style and found that it's much more demanding for muscles than conventional training but much LESS demanding on CNS. Most people say to avoid negative only training because it'll make you overtrained. I realy found the OPPOSITE to be true. It's EASY on CNS and HARD on MUSCLES.
I feel fresh and not drained after a few sets with super heavy weights (for me) even if I train with my 1-3 negative 1RM I'm able to do it again 1-2 day(s) after ! It's not the case if I do a conventional training even with much lighter weights. I try to avoid positive training I only test my strength once a while.
I would like to know if you experimented the same thing, Negative easy on CNS, hard on muscles.
Another thing it that people often say that negative are dangerous for joints, but I don't do ANY warm up and I have absolutely NO PROBLEM !!! When I do conventional training I need a few warm up sets if I want to do a 1RM, I can do a negative 1RM on Dips (full range) without any warm up and maybe only a little warm up (some BW reps) for Chins.
Is it the same for you ? What's science says ?
I have found the same to be true via experience. I may have mentioned it on this board before.

Eccentric-only training can produce some of the very best size gains for me, on or off AAS, if I am able to find someone who can help me do them consistently.

It doesn't put a dent in my nervous system.

I also do not warm up prior to working with the load for this type of training. I also experience no joint or tendon issues from negatives.

I go further. I do not stop at the 1RM. I use at least 120%, if not 150% or even more when doing eccentric-only training. The effect is much better, relative to working with my 1RM.

I think using these strategically can yield highly impressive gains in size.

Baoh I'm glad to read you experimented the same thing as me ! :)

I also use supramaximum weight, up to my negative 1RM ~130% of my 1RM without problem.

How did you use the negative ? I do chins and dips (also curl and triceps extension) for 1-10 reps with my 1-10 negative 1RM
I train 3-5 times per week actualy and try to add a few kg every workout.

Back