My workout proggy

I

imported_haydz

Hey Guys this is my first workout program

Workout

Consists of - 5 mins shadow boxing or running or rowing machine

I then do Dynamic Stretching

• Basic Joint movement (flexion/extension/rotation)
• Shoulder Circling
• Arm Swings (Overhead/Down and back and Side/Front Crossover)
• Hip Circles/Twist
• Side Bends
• Leg Swings (Flexion/Extension and Cross-Body flexion/Abduction)
• Lunges
• Double Leg Ankle Bounce

Then I go into lifting the weights, for each lift i do 5 sets total - 3 of which are warmup at my 50% of the weight im going to use - 8 reps, then 70% - 6 reps then 90% - 4 reps then 2 full working sets of 10 at 100%

I do these exercises

1. Squat – 2 x 10
2. Leg Curls 2 x 10
3. Straight leg calf raise – 2 x 10
4. Bench Press – 2 x 10
5. Bent over BB row - 2 x 10
6. Shoulder Press – 2 x 10
7. Biceps - 2 x 10
8. Shrugs – 2 x 10
9. Lying Tricep Extension – 2 x 10
10. Crunches – 2 x 10
11. Chins (W&N grip) 2 x 10 each
12. Wrist curl over a bench 2 x 10
please note that the 2 x 10 is the working sets and i do the other 3 sets as warmup and dont count them.

I do these all in one session 3 times a week.

My questions
1. For warmup sets, I have assumed that you need to do warmup sets for every exercise or dont i have to?

2. This will be my first proper program that I will be doing other than just wasting time doing any lift i feel like and so thats why i've kept it basic. I will be using reasonably light weights so that i am able to sort out my technique properly, what is a reasonable time frame for doing this kind of program? i thought 6-8 weeks as i might get bored doing the same exercises. (im only doing this program because i need to get my strength up a bit and get more experience with lifting weights before i start a SST program as strength is my main goal, and of corse muscle comes with that - will be trying a 5x5 workout later on in the year)

3. I have to lift alone for the time being as none of my mates want to help me and I'm still talking my parents around to letting me go to the gym and they are still a bit uneasy on the idea, it also cost money which i dont have much of, but i do have free weights and a bench at home + other stuff at home .. (barbell, dumbells, bench, chinup bar, rowing machine and boxing bag) so my question is, is anyone completely internet/self taught for weight lifting? if so how'd you do, did you come across many problems and did you eventually join a gym? If my main goal is strength then should i eventually join a gym?

4. does my warmup look sufficient? i will also cool down by going for an easy 5 or 10 minute walk.

5. Seeing as you guys have much experience, could you recommend some changes or another approach to what im trying to achieve?

Thanks for your help!
biggrin.gif

First, I would say there are too many exercises for one session, break your workout up into A&B workouts and alterate exercises. Also, I would drop the isolation exercises, such as the leg curl. You should alternate the squat with deadlifts. Don't use wrist wraps for rows and you'll put a much greater load on your forearms than wrist curls. A solid routine is the following A&B done MWF:

A: olympic squats, bench, 90 degree bent rows, standing OH press
B: deadlifts, dips, chins, standing OH press

Liegelord is right about too many exercises. Made me tired just looking at your routine
tounge.gif
. Unless you have all night it's too much to do and be effective. Better to start with something like he suggested.

As for training at home, lots of us do it. Try this page for a list of exercises and videos on how to perform them. For general advice about training and HST you've found a great resource here.

I warm up on some exercises, not much on others. Major compound exercises like squat and bench press, yes. Usually just 1-2 sets unless I'm going quite heavy. You may need to do more or less than I do.

Seems like you want to try a lot of different things. I've heard good things about 5x5 programs, but a lot of folks seem to get good results for both strength and hypertrophy from HST. Doing a cycle or two of the basic program before changing too much is a good idea. See how you respond, then you can try to vary things.

One more point: HST is not a specific routine. It's principles derived from scientific research that describes what makes muscles grow. The sample HST routine is just an application of the principles designed to make the most sense for the most people. Once you understand the principles you can tailor workouts to make them work best for you. If you just start making changes from the routines without understanding the principles you probably won't get good results.

hmm yeah i thought it was a bit much, but you get all enthusiastic and exciting about it you know
smile.gif

thanks for that site, its great! i like it better than bodybuilding.coms directory of exercises.

ohh right, ill read more into HST for better understanding, i will definately try it at some stage aswell. thanks for replying!

I wasn't trying to push HST on you--wasn't really sure if you were trying to do a HST routine starting at 10s or what. But learning the principles utilized in HST will help you learn why routines do or don't work well, whether or not it's a HST routine. You do have some of the right principles in your routine, like reasonable frequency (3x per week), and reasonable volume (20 reps at your working weight).

How are you determining the weight you work with? Another principle is progressive load--regular increases in the amount you are lifting. As a new lifter you will probably be able to do this regularly for a time.

Good luck with it!

Important also to keep separate the failure training from HST principles. We don't need the 72 hours rest for a worked muscle that the failure people do, but the majority of the programs out there are for failure sets, only allowing the muscle to work twice a week.
I thought you had a lot of uneccesary warmup stuff in there...that would make my 80 minute workout go to two hours at least!

Back