My Hst Log

@mickc1965 I've had it for 4 years as my trusty daily drive ...

Just recently I spent every penny I had on having her fully restored and converted to a different engine

Got her back recently and lots of little issues started mounting up at an alarming rate so I took her to my local garage

And they basically found a huge list of serious defects and problems ...

It's left me in utter shock to be honest

The guy who did the work has assured me he will sort everything out free of charge

But it's really knocked my confidence in him and i just feel really disheartened by the whole thing

Been stressing and worrying ever since and have barely slept ..

Monday 23rd January 2017

Cycle 2 - Week 6

5s phase ..

Workout A ...

Weighted chins - 15kg plate - 1 x 5

Deadlift - 182.5 kg - 1 x 10 (TNG)
- 182.5 kg - 1 x 5 (dead stop)

Bench press - 100 kg - 1 x 6
- 100 kg - 1 x 5
- 90 kg - 1 x 8
- 80 kg - 1 x 10
- 70 kg - 1 x 15

Squat - 100 kg - 1 x 6
- 100 kg 1 x 5
- 100 kg 1 x 5

Lat pulldown - 3 x 8

DB shoulder press - 30kg dbs - 2 x 6
- 25kg dbs - 1 x 10
- 20kg dbs - 1 x 15

Upright row - 45 kg - 3 x 6

Barbell curl - 45 kg - 2 x 6

Okay so That was Friday's workout repeated due to my problems on Friday ..

I'm still not very happy with the workout to be honest ...

I got all my target reps with ease for a couple of sets on everything so I'm sure it's nothing to worry about ... But I just didn't seem to have my usual drive to knock out more reps and sets.

i found myself ending the sets a bit prematurely at around the 6 rep mark and just couldn't really find the energy to push myself for more.

Also whatever I did to my back on Friday still seems to be niggling me .. It's like a sharp pain slightly to the left of my lower back and hip area ....

Tuesday 24th January 2017

Cycle 2 - Week 6

5s phase

Workout B ....

Weighted Chins - 15kg plate - 4 x 5
- bodyweight - 1 x 8

Squats - 105 kg - 1 x 7
- 105 kg - 1 x 6
- 105 kg - 1 x 5
- 105 kg - 1 x 5
- 90 kg - 1 x 10
- 75 kg - 1 x 16

Military press - 60 kg - 3 x 7

T bar row - 55 kg - 4 x 5
- 40 kg - 2 x 12

Flat DB press - 40kg dbs - 2 x 7

Inline DB press - 40kg dbs - 1 x 7

Barbell curl - 45 kg - 2 x 5

Another hard fought workout today but not a bad workout at all ...

Had a lot of energy on squats today and surprised myself with 7 reps on the first set :)

lower back is still niggling from where I tweaked it on Friday but it did feel way better - particularly after my first set of heavy squats.

It's almost like something popped back into place and the pain eased off

Thursday 26th January 2017

Cycle 2 - week 6

5s phase

Workout A ...

Deadlift - 200 kg - 1 x 5 (TNG)

Squats - 110 kg - 1 x 5
- 110 kg - 1 x 5
- 100 kg - 1 x 7
- 90 kg - 1 x 10
- 75 kg - 1 x 15

Bench press - 105 kg - 1 x 5
- 105 kg - 1 x 4 (+1)
- 100 kg - 1 x 5
- 90 kg - 1 x 8
- 80 kg - 1 x 12
- 70 kg - 1 x 17

Lat pulldown - 1 x 6
- 1 x 5
- 1 x 5
- 1 x 10
- 1 x 15

DB shoulder press - 32.5kg dbs - 1 x 5
- 32.5kg dbs - 1 x 5
- 32.5kg dbs - 1 x 5
- 27.5kg dbs - 1 x 10
- 22.5kg dbs - 1 x 13

Upright row - 47.5 kg - 2 x 5

Bit late uploading this one from Thursday but overall it went well ... Nothing amazing to report but I hit all my planned 5 rep maxes for workout A.

I came down with some weird flu like virus on Friday after I ran 10k on the treadmill in 50.47 minutes. that's a very average time for me at an incline level of 3.5 so it's not like I over exerted myself or anything ....

I've been suffering with that all weekend So I'm hoping I'll be good to train Monday and hit my 5 rep maxes for workout B.

Monday 30th January 2017

Cycle 2 - Week 7

5s Phase - final workout

Workout B...

Weighted chins - 20kg plate - 1x5
- 20kg plate - 1x5
- 20kg plate - 1x4 (+1)
Body weight - 1 x 10

Squats - 115 kg - 1 x 5
- 115 kg - 1 x 5
- 100 kg - 1 x 8
- 100 kg - 1 x 8
- 90 kg - 1 x 10

Military press - 65 kg - 1 x 6
- 65 kg - 1 x 5
- 60 kg - 1 x 7
- 50 kg - 1 x 13

T bar row - 60 kg - 1 x 5
- 60 kg - 1 x 5
- 50 kg - 1 x 8
- 50 kg - 1 x 8

Flat DB press - 42.5kg dbs - 1 x 6
- 42.5kg dbs - 1 x 5

Incline DB press - 42.5kg dbs - 1 x 5

Barbell curl - 50 kg - 1 x 5
- 50 kg - 1 x 5
- 45 kg - 1 x 6
- 40 kg - 1 x 10

Ok that is the end of the 5s phase ..

I've managed to hit all my planned maxes for workouts A and B ...

But it's been a real struggle this time around.

The last few workouts have been super long with huge rests between sets to accomplish all the sets

And although I've managed to get the planned 5 rep maxes on everything , I'm not entirely happy with them.

Mostly because when I achieved these lifts in my last cycle the form on everything felt absolutely perfect

Whereas this time they have felt a lot more grindy and definitely not as solid as my previous bests on the last cycle

My 5th rep on both sets of my squat max today felt like I had an excessive amount of forward lean which I'm not happy with ....

But now that I'm going into post 5s I'll stick with these weights and see if I can improve them ....

I may have to drop the deadlifts though because that niggling injury to my lower back keeps flaring up and although deadlifts weren't the cause I'm sure they aren't doing it any favours as its getting really painful at times ...

Wednesday 1st February 2017

Cycle 2 - week 7

Post 5s

I think it's time for an early strategic deconditioning...

I grinded out 5 pretty sloppy reps on my squat 5rm and couldn't even manage a second set ..

Then I tried some of my usual back off sets but it just felt awkward and extraordinarily heavy.

I only got 2 grinded reps on my bench press 5rm which has left me really angry seeing as I knocked out 5 with no problems on Friday.

Basically everything today was an epic fail and despite feeling pretty good I just had no strength at all ...

Plus my lower back is still playing up since that silly injury a few weeks back ...

My grip strength seems piss weak at the moment too

I'm just really not feeling motivated at all for my workouts at the moment and the last week or two have felt way harder to get through than they should have.

Just feels like I'm doing myself more harm than good at the moment and not getting very productive workouts in the process ..

I'm thinking of taking my strategic deconditioning and then starting cycle 3 with a fresh new exercise selection ...

I've been utilising nothing but squats , Chins , deadlifts , benches , military presses etc etc for the last few years and I think a couple of cycles with some different exercises would probably be a refreshing change for me ...

Wednesday 1st February 2017

I've been utilising nothing but squats , Chins , deadlifts , benches , military presses etc etc for the last few years and I think a couple of cycles with some different exercises would probably be a refreshing change for me ...

5 reps at 5rm weight is always going to be a bit of a grind.

I think you have just accumulated some fatique, perfectly normal, and I dont think you are going to do yourself any harm by just backing off the intensity a bit or you could take a deload week.

Personally I wouldn't take out those lifts for a whole cycle. If I was feeling really beat up as you mentioned above, I would probably do a week GPP (General Physical Preparedness)

For a week or two concentrate on;
  • Mobility work/Foam Rolling
  • Conditioning, maybe
Walking
Cycling
Rowing
Interval “sprinting”
Barbell Circuits - ie - with a light weight, and with out setting the bar down -
RDL x6, Row x6, Front Squat x6, Military x6, Back Squat x6, Hang
Clean x6. do this for 15 minutes
  • Ab/core work
Keep the intensity relatively low.

I think that would be enough to release your fatigue and get your mojo and motivation back. ;)

Barbell Circuits - ie - with a light weight, and with out setting the bar down -
RDL x6, Row x6, Front Squat x6, Military x6, Back Squat x6, Hang
Clean x6. do this for 15 minutes

I quite like this proposal, what sort of loads in % terms of 1rm do you recommend

I quite like this proposal, what sort of loads in % terms of 1rm do you recommend

I keep this really light, from an empty bar, to about 40-50kg Or a weight that enables you to complete the circuit without setting the bar down, then do as many rounds as you can in 10-20 minutes. More of an aerobic exercise while getting some blood flow into the muscles.

I got this from Reactive Training Systems, which is the brain child of Mike Tuscherrer a high level powerlifter. I've attached a document on it if that helps.

Attachments

• Directions for GPP.pdf
    592.5 KB · Views: 3
That's a really cool approach ... Thanks @Browner :)

I'll give that light barbell circuit a try for a week or two ... I'm also booked in for a deep tissue massage next week.

Would you recommend coming back to these same weights and continuing the post 5s phase afterwards ? Or should I start a whole new cycle after GPP ?

That's a really cool approach ... Thanks @Browner :)

I'll give that light barbell circuit a try for a week or two ... I'm also booked in for a deep tissue massage next week.

Would you recommend coming back to these same weights and continuing the post 5s phase afterwards ? Or should I start a whole new cycle after GPP ?

Your welcome. If your feeling fresh I'd say get back to the post 5 weights or more if you can. Or maybe use the post 5 weights but start a block of 3s and see if you can increase the weights over a few weeks, then deload or SD and start a new cycle.

Back