My first HST Cycle, please help out

WeightedDips

Ok, basically I've read over all three HST for Dummie threads and I pretty much understand the program. My only problem is my exercise selection. Today I tried to figure out my 15 rep maxes but it was tough. I'm trying to incorporate all body parts so if you could please give me any advice on them that'd be great:

Squats
SLDL
Flat Barbell Bench Press
Wide Grip Lat Pulldown/Close Grip Pulldown/Chins
Dips
Pendlay Row
Seated Dumbell Press
Dumbell Shrugs
Standing Calf Raises

Thats how I have it. I can't do 15 rep chins and 15 rep dips in one workout. Its too much. So I figured I would go with close grip pulldowns and pendlay rows for back, however I would really like lat width so I'm considering wide grip lat pulldowns.

I had incline dumbells in replace of Bench but have the incline dumbell and seated dumbell presses are too similar. My bench is weak anyway so I hope to add some lbs to that. I like the seated dumbell presses alot, they bring out my shoulders good.

I'm kinda stressin out on all this, I'd like my first cycle to be successful. Any help on this?

Also, how much weight should I add each workout, I was going to add 5lbs to each lift. Thanks.

What stage are you at in your lifting? Height, weight?

For big lifts like deads and squats try to use 10lb increments. For the other lifts 5lb should do. However, it may be that you shouldn't increment each session if your poundages are low. Try to start at around 70/75% of your RM lift for each mesocycle and then evenly increment up to 100%. If it's not possible to evenly increment then it's OK to repeat a workout here and there as long as you end up at your RM.

Re pulldowns: wide grip pulldowns definitely change the stresses on your muscles during the pulldown movement but don't think they are better for lat width than a narrower grip. Do this: hold your arms up in the air as if you were going to do a wide-grip p/d. Then raise your arms higher until they are pointing straight up. More lat stretch right? Then supinate your hands. Even more lat stretch! That's why palms-forward (supinated), close(ish)-grip chins are such a good lat and bi blaster. Just be careful at the lowest point in the movement as there is then quite a lot of strain on your wrists.

I would do standing barbell presses so that during post-5s you can do push-presses which will allow you to keep incrementing the loads. Maybe just switch to them during the 5s if you like.

do incline bb-bench..do pulldowns close grip as LOL says untill you get to 5s then do chins.do as many dips as you can untill you hit 15 maybe next time you will do them all.good luck
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Back