Mostly compounds

mostlyallan

I've read quite a few posts on compounds over isolation (though not saying this method is exclusive).

I train at home and have to improvise on certain exercises but I before yesterday (new cycle) I was doing:

Bench
Lat pulldowns
Hammer Curls
Skull Scrushers
Dips
Squats

I thought I'd change it up slightly - mainly cos I've run out of weight to do squats so now its leg curls. So the new regeime is

Bench
Lat pulldowns
Hammer curls
Dips
Leg extensions (prone on back)
Leg curls (prone on face) - dunno what its properly called

Obviously I'd prefer squats but its all I got right now.
Are the skull crushers ok to ditch? I'm trying to really focus on chest and triceps and dips seem to be doing well for triceps at least. Chest isnt getting any 'bigger' (as in chest measurement - 40") but the pecs are looking fuller each cycle - albeit slowly.

I managed to get a dip belt last cycle and on my 5rm managed to get 10kg plus body weight (72kg) dipped 3x5reps which I though was pretty cool (for me anyway).

Should I just keep going like this?

I would add Deadlift and Military Press.. if you have a barbell at home, then you can do these exercises. Try throwing out the iso's when you hit the 5's as the high load of the compounds should be enough.

-Colby

If you have dips, are they only narrow? Otherwise you could do dips for chest, it's a better chest exercise than bench. You could still do them for your triceps as well, but i'd go for the skull crushers or something with a little more stretch. I don't know, i guess in your situation go with cg bench or the tricep dips, whichever one gives you a better stretch.

Lat pulldowns are fine, chins would be better. If you can't setup a chin up bar somewhere than that's the best you can do. Or Bent Over Rows.

Strongly suggest clean and press or some military press, but i'm assuming your ceiling is low as to not allow that. Maybe seated barbell press if you can get ahold of a lifting chair.

And of course, as said above, the deadlifts. It'll do alot for your back even if you're stuck with lat pull downs.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I thought the iso's could def go in the 5s but I thought I could get rid earlier too. I guess the stretch would be good though.

Dips are about a half foot out from each hip. I definitely feel it in the triceps - and chest if I lean forward enough. Doing them slowly and deep gives a good stretch and a good burn.

I can raise the bar on my home gym to do seated military press so I'll probably try that (yeh, with the barbell the plates hit the ceiling).

Back