Mixing Parallel and ATG Squats?

Not sure on mixing them. But I switched to ATG squats a while ago. And even though I'm using less weight I think I'm getting a better overall workout in both the quads and hams. And it has for sure been easier on my knees. So far I'm really liking ATG squats and don't see myself switching back to parallel any time soon.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I recall a method some years back where you would do something called a 1-1/2 squat. A full squat followed by a 1/2 (parallel) squat would be one rep. That way you'd put more work on the quads, but retain the benefits of ATG.</div>
That sounds somewhat tempting, except that you would have to keep changing the weight on the bar to get the full benefit of a parallel squat -- if you are using the same weight as the ATG, what is the point?

It's a method of adding load to the quads. Your ATG weight is IMMEDIATELY followed by the 1/2 rep - which is going to be harder than it would be without the preceding ATG rep, so there's no need to change weights. There is no rest or pause between them. It's one rep, period.
I never tried them myself; just mentioned them as a thought. They may not be as effective as simply heavy squats due to fiber recruitment. Less motor units may be utilized in the second half of the rep (the half-rep), but I'm not sure. I don't know if that's enough fatigue to fire all the fibers, rep by rep. Surely it is by the end of the set though.

<div>
(Ruthenian @ Apr. 22 2007,17:37)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> <div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I recall a method some years back where you would do something called a 1-1/2 squat. A full squat followed by a 1/2 (parallel) squat would be one rep. That way you'd put more work on the quads, but retain the benefits of ATG.</div>
That sounds somewhat tempting, except that you would have to keep changing the weight on the bar to get the full benefit of a parallel squat -- if you are using the same weight as the ATG, what is the point?</div>
this is why i do atg first then paralell or visa versa.get the best of both worlds.

i included this in my workout friday,and i liked it,felt like it really did the job.

Icars

That is exactly what I do, my thighs seemt have liked it, I switch to box squats when the weight is too heavy to manage ATG.

Back