meal timings around training

faz

just done an experiment,took my measurements/weight etc before.

keeping all my maxes the same ie 15s,10s,5s,.

all meals same cals over 24hrs.

for 2mths i had nothing to eat after 7pm untill after training the following day.

then for 2mths i had a meal before training and nothing after for 5hrs.

the only thing i had before during or after was water.

there was no difference at all in measurements/weight etc after the four months,i know we say cals in versus cals out is the most important thing,but it seems that even timing around training isnt that important as long as you have the total calls spot on for the day
rock.gif

the only difference was having nothing before somedays made me feel a little week.

what do you guys think

the only thing i like to do after training is get a shake in there.1 hour before training i have a small meal. i usually eat around 5-6x a day + shakes. i cant go much more than 2 hours without eating. i guess im just conditioned to that.

im must admit though, as ive gotten older, shifts in my body weight have slowed somewhat.wether im cutting or bulking.

<div>
(lcars @ Apr. 19 2008,11:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">the only thing i like to do after training is get a shake in there.1 hour before training i have a small meal. i usually eat around 5-6x a day + shakes. i cant go much more than 2 hours without eating. i guess im just conditioned to that.

im must admit though, as ive gotten older, shifts in my body weight have slowed somewhat.wether im cutting or bulking.</div>
yes but what im saying, is your shake or meal pre-post really necessary,i had nothing before for 2mths then nothing after for 2mths only the same cals for 24hrs and no difference
rock.gif

This has been discussed lately in relation to fasted exersize during IF diet - the consensus as I get it is that the 2-hour &quot;window of opportunity&quot; is still there, where seriously elevated levels of PS are present after the workout, but there still is elevated PS for 24 hrs. where you can supply the nutrients necessary for growth.
How much this difference is is still uncharted in relation to hypertrophy, unless I missed something in study.
Were it a big matter, intermittent fasting would result in catabolism; it appears that it does not. Also, the practice of us eating every 3 hours is not necessary as once thought. What a relief this has been for me.
Side note: I'm having NO TROUBLE getting my day's cals in in just 8 hours...bulking on this won't be a problem either.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"> Also, the practice of us eating every 3 hours is not necessary as once thought</div>

i have never ate every 2 or 3hrs as i have never beleived that crap,but i always thought there was something to eating around training (besides energy levels) now i dont think its as important as what you eat over the day.

i eat so often, not to particulaly keep my metabolism high but more to get enough protein down.most of my meals consist of around 30grams of protein except for my main meals which can go way above this.but even then i still only manage about 300g's of protein a day.

im not sure about any window either but i think its important to shuttle as much nutrients to the damaged/taxed muscle as possible. a protein shake like whey isolate is absorbed quickly, it would make sense to use them at that time.

however your results must be given some consideration.

I too thought that timing around workouts was important. Your post actually made me feel better about my eating habits.
biggrin.gif

And yes, it is my experience too that working out fasted can prove a painful experience, especially if you are looking for performance. You just don't seem able to enjoy your workout.

I suppose it took a lot of dedication to actually pull this off (four consecutive months!). A great thank you for sharing.

<div>
(9to5lifter @ Apr. 21 2008,1:33)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I too thought that timing around workouts was important. Your post actually made me feel better about my eating habits.
biggrin.gif

And yes, it is my experience too that working out fasted can prove a painful experience, especially if you are looking for performance. You just don't seem able to enjoy your workout.

I suppose it took a lot of dedication to actually pull this off (four consecutive months!). A great thank you for sharing.</div>
no prob mate,TBH the cardio only days were ok but the weight days were hard,not everyone but most.

Back