Meal replacement shake

volatile

I wanted to know if my current meal placement shake is sufficent, and if not, if you could offer any suggestions as to what would make a good meal replacement.
I need this meal replacement because I am simply not able to eat whole foods 6 plus times a day, for convience factors it is not possible.
Currently, between breakfast and lunch I have a shake consisting of 1 banana, 1 scoop of Egg protein powder, and 1 packet of grits.
This amounts to 300 calories, in case you wanted to know, I use the grits because I figuered I needed carbs in this shake, and I thought multidextrin would not be good for a regular non pre or postworkout meal and oatmeal is not something my stomach takes. Thanks.

i have always been a fan of cereal (preferably "Go Lean Crunch"), protein mix, and peanut butter w/ water or milk in a blender. it has been my breakfast for quite some time since i am not a morning person.

Nothing wrong with it if all you want to do is get enough calories down quickly. Have fun with it. Experiment with other things to throw in there. Yogurt, berries, honey, skim milk, eggs, cottage cheese, peanut butter, olive oil...the list is endless.

Eating north of 4000 calories, I still can't gain weight. Thusly, I've begun to use this shake a few times a day to choke down a fairly easy, very healthy 980 calories, 43 grams of fat, 84 carbs, and 72 protein, all for $1.54.

Blend 2 scoops of ON 100% Whey Double Rich Chocolate (my personal favorite), 1 cup (2 servings) of oatmeal (raw), two tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or throw in flax or fish, depending on your EFA needs), and 16 oz. of 1-2% milk. I see nothing wrong with it. I'm also going to implement the apple cider vinegar (thank you, Vicious and BIZ!), because the only issue I feel that arises is bloating due to all the liquid, especially milk and raw oats. Still, I don't find it to be any more of a problem than when I eat 1000 calories of anything else!

Also, don't worry about the whey digesting too fast - the fiber from the oats certainly helps, as does the casein protein provided by the milk. Space these 3-4 hours apart and you're set.

Unfortunately, I can not eat whey or oats. This is why I use Egg Protein powder and grits. I am guessing cream of rice would be acceptable, but olive oil? That has 14 grams of fat for 1 tablespoon, I have IBS and can not have more than 25% fat per meal. How does that work?

What about multidextrin, would that be good in place or with the grits, since it is not before a workout or exercise would it be a good idea not to use it then?

I think the answer to this depends at least in part on your goals. I used to put peanut butter in my protein shakes because it's a tasty thickening agent, but stopped when I learned that its fat content slows down the absorption of amino acids. The reason I'm consuming these drinks in the first place is to quickly soak up protein pre- and post-workout, so including anything fatty was counterproductive for my goals. I've since replaced the PB with cottage cheese, which is loaded with protein (and is also the best thickening agent I've come across so far).

However, if your drinks serve more to boost your caloric intake, then I wouldn't see a problem with mixing in fatty foods--within your 25 percent daily limit, of course.

i use instant whey pre and post workout,should i mix with milk post workout to slow down absorbtion.

Back