lower back issues

Nemesis7884

doing sldl and squats/leg press 5x a week (especially the sldl) seems to have a bad impact on my lower back (overstressed)

what do you do to combat this? lowering the volume would not help imo - lowering the frequency might do the trick but i'd have to sacrifice optimal gains...

what do you folkes do? don't you have any lower back problems?

By 5x a week do you mean 5 days a week? That's an awful lot. Assuming your form is good you are probably doing these exercises much too frequently. I have a temperamental lower back and do the same exercises 3x a week and have no problems. I've also been careful to increase weight very slowly over time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]what do you do to combat this? lowering the volume would not help imo - lowering the frequency might do the trick but i'd have to sacrifice optimal gains...

If it's just the lower back that gives you issues, then do that less frequently. Keep your 5x a week schedule, train everything else the same, just train the lower back less frequently until it can take the strain better.

Maybe that would help :)
-JV

Chances are, it's a lack of conditioning. I have a highly physical job that involves a lot of low back work for three hours a night at high volumes, Monday through Friday. Coupled with this, I train heavily Monday, Wednesday and Friday. 5x5 squatting done 3x a week. Deadlifts and standing military pressing Wednesday. Bentover Rowing, parallel to the floor (the way they should be done), 5x5 twice a week.

My back never bothers me, unless I sit for too long. I guess I need to be more active.
laugh.gif

There was an old thread about specialization training for weaknesses. Search for specialization or weakness and you might find it. People in that thread actually encouraged more frequent training for a weak point, but with lower weight and higher reps.

For the lower back, inflexibility, bad form, and lack of strength can all be simultaneously responsible for trouble.

Stretching, practicing form, and frequent low-weight workouts helped me go from a 75 lb. max deadlift to 275 lbs. in about four months. (Yay me.
laugh.gif
)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Chances are, it's a lack of conditioning.

Chthonian could be right there.

One thing to take into account is also the age and history. Now, Nemesis, don't rip my butt apart for implying you are old or something, coz I'm not! All I'm saying is, I find it quite common that as guys get older, their back just gives more and more problems.

Now, I'm sure we're all still very much young dudes, so perhaps history. If you have had any back history (problems, injuries, operations, etc.) that might expalin it. Perhaps it really can't take that much stress as it used to due to those injuries or whatnot.

If all else fails, it's probably the conditioning as Chthonian said. Maybe you are just having a "bad back" phase right now and all it needs is a little rest; decrease the frequency on it perhaps.

Well, tell us what actually works; we might get the same thing sooner or later! :D
-JV

Nemesis,

Just my $ 0.02. For me that would be too much frequency, 3x week max.

When I have low back pain I don't do any squats at all. I never do SLDL, I think this exercise is not good for someone who is prone to low back pain. Maybe you could substitute leg press and leg curls.

When your back feels better you may want to start with reverse situps until it is strong again. Then go back to squats when you feel up to it.

Back