Lower Back is Sore

colby2152

This past week, deadlifts got a bit tough. It was my 2nd week of 15's, so the weights were going up past 200 lbs for 15 rep sets. My lower back got really sore and tight like a shin splint. I then noticed it while running today.

Maybe I need to incorporate more lower back based stretches before lifting/running?

Keep in mind that I lift high frequency 5x/week. On the days that I do not deadlift, I warmup with hyperextensions.

Your frequency is the problem...5xweek for lower back is suicide.
I deadlift twice/week and that it is condidered pretty extreme. Many powerlifters consider Korte's program to be impossible due to deadlifting 3 times/week, but it is possible due to the lighter loads.
If you are going to deadlift three times/week, don't do hyperextensions or anything else that stresses the lower back on offdays.

Personally, I refuse to do deadlifts in the 15s. That is pure hell. Squats during the 15s... I can manage, but deads? Screw that.

How many days a week are you actually deadlifting?

<div>
(Totentanz @ Mar. 31 2007,18:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Personally, I refuse to do deadlifts in the 15s.  That is pure hell.  Squats during the 15s...  I can manage, but deads?  Screw that.

How many days a week are you actually deadlifting?</div>
im with tot,due to the increased poundages ive been shifting i found that 15 reps is becoming a real grind.although i can handle the weight,the lower back can take a beating,@5x a week,its not a good idea in my opinion.3x at teh most.

<div>
(Totentanz @ Mar. 31 2007,18:43)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Personally, I refuse to do deadlifts in the 15s. That is pure hell. Squats during the 15s... I can manage, but deads? Screw that.

How many days a week are you actually deadlifting?</div>
The 15's may just be the problem. I deadlift 3x/week on MWF. However, I also do hyperextensions on TR which may present the other part of the problem. I start 10's tomorrow which will hopefully be refreshing.

Should I cut out hypers?

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">If you are going to deadlift three times/week, don't do hyperextensions or anything else that stresses the lower back on offdays. </div>

There's my answer that I just wanted to verify. Thanks guys.

For what it's worth, I have found that good mornings are the ultimate lower back strengthener, but with your training regimen &amp; frequency, I don't know how you'd squeeze them in. I certainly wouldn't do them on non-deadlift days, as 5x/week lower back work is definitely ng.

But definitely think about adding GMs on your next 'less frequent' cycle
smile.gif

I do deads(sumo) after BB rows 3x/wk (M,W,F) and my lower back has held up fine. I think it's really a matter of conditioning , and how you treat your back in between W/O's. I've noticed that recliners tend to give me &quot;old man back&quot; if I've done deads that day after sitting in one for just 20 minutes or so ; so I sit in an arm chair with good posture support while relaxing at home.
     One of my idiosyncrocies is that I pace in between sets , walking around the W/O area and I continue this for a good 10-15 minutes after my last rep while my heart rate and breathing return to normal. I can't prove it but I firmly believe this &quot;warms me down&quot; and prevents my back (esp. lower) from tightening up and becoming more sore.
     Just to be clear- I get sore , but it's a good sore not an aggravating &quot;did I hurt something?&quot;. Nothing will encourage good posture both sitting and standing than 3x/wk deads - thats for sure!
     I will usually feel a bit tight but in a good way for the rest of the day I did deads on , then a slight soreness the next (contrasting showers and a small pillow in the small of your back while sitting if your seat has less than stellar support will go a long way to help this) by the following day it's time to lift again and my back is usually feeling little to no soreness at this point.
     Truth be told it's my traps and forearms  that have been killing me - as,  in my search for ultimate &quot;bang for buck&quot; I've taken to doing static holds at the top of each dead for a slow count of 5 deep breathes. I welcome the pain in anticipation of the growth I expect as a result.
      I would never advocate &quot;soldiering on&quot; to the point of injury though , you've really got to be able to feel the difference between acceptable soreness and warning pain. It's an ongoing communication between you and your body, I know colby2152 you are an experienced lifter but 3x/wk deads + running + hyperextensions might be a little ambitious.
biggrin.gif

Thanks Russ for the input, I dropped the hyperextensions and I am back on deads today, so we'll see what happens to my lower back today. No pain = no game, but my back was way too tight. Yesterday, I ran around for an hour and a half and then lifted a few hours later.

I agree about GM's. I used to do them all the time, before I began deadlifting regularly. I think GMs and Bentover Rows from the floor are part of the reason why my lower back is basically invincible. They are fun. Hmm.. I might have to add them back in soon.

Back