less protein on off days?

It all really depends on what you're doing. If you're cutting, its not anywhere near as important on off days. I typically get around 120-130g on off days (I'm 200 lbs). With on days I get around 170-190.

When you're bulking its a different story, you want to get 1g/lb every single day, not only that but keep your other calorie sources up too. Its always easier for me to get adequate protein when bulking. Its a lot harder when cutting due to my having to be a lot more discriminatory on the fat and carbs.

I seem to remember Bryan writing that protein synthesis goes up by 50 percent after 4 hours, is at its highest 24 hours after a workout, and drops back to baseline after 36 hours. So I'd think that 24 hours after the workout you should have plenty of protein in your system. Ie, if you work out at 5 pm Monday, you should get a lot of protein in your system by 5 pm Tuesday, and worry less about getting protein late Tuesday night.

As mentioned above, you should keep protein steady while you are training. However during SD you could probably lower it to .8g/lb bodyweight -1g/kg bodyweight and be just fine.

Cool. I weigh 215 and have ben getting about 300-350 grams of protein in the first 24 hours. The next 12 hours I still try to get a decent amount, but not at the same level as the day before. After that I cut it back to the equivilent of 1 gram pe pound.

For example I lift on Friday night, eat a ton in the next 24 hours, still eat a lot in the next 12 hours (late Sat. night and early Sun morning), after the 36 hours (the rest of Sun and Mon before my workout) I eat about 1 gram per pound.

Back