Leg / calf

nirax

Hi,

I weigh 80 kgs and am 6ft/6inches tall.

I started working out six weeks back. I have divided my whole body into 3 muscle groups and train twice a week - so each muscle is worked out once in 10 days. I want to know whether this is allright ? My weight has been stagnant for 4 weeks but strength has increased somewhat. I am confused what to read into it.

Also, currently I do standing calf raises at 580 lbs and squats at 240 lbs. (I started out with 200 lbs and 130 lbs respectively, since then I have done these exercises 4 times). My calves are usually sore for 3-4 days after the workout. (The first time I did that, I was unable to walk properly for 3 days, because of too much pain). Please tell me how much/long soreness should one expect to occur and also whether my progress with weights is OK.

I would appreciate if someone more experienced answers my querry.
Thanks,
Niraj

well, the hst principle predicts full body workouts at least 3 times a week...

what you are doing now is more classical, but in any case, probably not enough training. Doing one muscle group every 10 days will only be beneficiary if you are doing some really heave hit scheme, but anyways, try to up your frequency.

As for the calve soreness, I remember when I started working out, my first calve routine took me 6 days to walk at least a bit properly again. Now I find it very hard to get them sore.

Soreness in my opinion shouldn't last more than two days, max three.

But there will be a more scientific view from others.

You said yourself - your weight has been stagnant for a while now. If your weight is not going up, then it is not your training, it is your diet.

Here are a couple simple rules to bodybuilding: If you are not gaining weight, it is your diet. If you ARE gaining weight, but it is primarily fat, then it is your training. Once you have both your diet and your training locked in perfectly, only then will you see weight gain that is primarily muscle.

So the short of it is that you need to eat more. Remember that as you gain more weight, your calorie requirements go up. While I would recommend that you try out HST instead of the training method you are using now, I really think you need to figure out how to get more calories in you first.

Back