Is cardio that necessary for cutting ?

Blizz

I've read that the more muscle mass you get, the more you'll be able to burn fat while resting so my question is, if I want to burn fat, instead of doing cardio should I go for mass instead and everything will settle all by itself over the time ?

Thanks

It depends on how fast you want to lose fat or prevent fat stores from being created. If you do mild cardio(i.e. brisk walk), you will burn more calories than if you don't. So if you don't want to lose fat as quickly or you don't want to burn the excess calories consumed by eating over maintenance levels, then no, you don't have to do cardio.

Heya Blizz  :)
Honestly, I've never heard of anyone who wanted to do cutting but didn't do any form of cardio.
Well, sure, more muscles = greater calorie burning. But realistically, things won't just settle down by itself without even mild cardio.
Think of it this way: by itslef, muscles will burn more calories than just plain old fatty tissues. But that won't be significant until you actually do even just mild cardio. If we are of the same weight (say 180), but you have way more muscle than me, you'll be burning more calories than me even though we both do the same cardio, say a brisk walk for a mile. How much more depends on how much more muscle you have.
The point is, do cardio if you are cutting. What kind of cardio depends on your goals (like goal220 said, depends on how fast you want to lose fat).
And of course, the diet is also important (though i think you already have that in check so you didn't mention it). But for the benefit of anybody else who might stumble across this, also make sure to include more essential fats. You need the good fats to remove fat!
Hope this helps. Good luck!  :)
-JV

some people can drop fat just fine without cardio. not that they're freaks of nature or anything. i for one never did cardio in my life to lose fat, and i'm no freak of nature, just a normal guy. i'm not even an ectomorph. of course, if you diet for a long time, adding cardio is better than further reducing calories.

however, adding muscle mass is nearly impossible without some fat gain, so unless your very lean when you start bulking, you will need to do a little cutting sometime.

Back