Incline Press

Crackerman

Hi all,
I want to include incline presses in my next cycle but barbell presses seem to irritate my right shoulder.

Its been an on going issue for quite some time now. Despite resting my shoulder the problem always returns. The only exercise i have problems with is bench, and setting the bench to an incline seems to trigger the problem even more. Using dumbells however i seem to have no problems at all.

Will i be compromising my workout by using dumbells for this exercise?

Cheers

Not at all. In fact you get a better ROM with DBs (more stretch at the bottom). So go with the DBs!

You might want to do some rehab (light weight, high-rep) shoulder work. There are some nice posts by Kate & others that you can search for; look for rotator cuff and AC joint.

Good luck!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] I want to include incline presses in my next cycle but barbell presses seem to irritate my right shoulder.

WELCOME to the club my brother!! and no it will not compromise your workout. In fact you'll be able to lift the next day !!

I use DB's then switch to BB for the negatives, I can lift for about 5 more days then start SD.

Also like jsraaf suggested you might want to warm up doing some type of rotator cuff exercise

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mikeh @ July 15 2003,9:48)]I use DB's then switch to BB for the negatives
Why do yo do this, Mike?

If it were to make negs possible, I'd think it would be easier with DBs (2 hands up, 1 hand down for the neg).

Just curious... :D

I found the BB is easier to "load up" for negatives and press off the stands
when doing a Inc press.

I have never tried to lift a 90lb DB off the ground and press
it while balance my other side. IF I don't flip off the bench
laugh.gif

that may work. I'll try it tonight (with a 10's weight and see
how it feels) Do you Inc press like this ??

And I do use the (2 hand) method for DB Inc Curl.

Actually, I haven't done any negatives for DB presses, yet - though I may give it a try when I get to bulking again.

I also don't share that "weight problem" you have; both of my DBs combined barely equals one of yours. :confused:

No problem, HST has skyrocketed my strength ! It will for you too
thumbs-up.gif

Heck Edziu had to give me advice on how to get those suckers
off the ground without hurting myself :)

Congrats on your 500th post !

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mikeh @ July 15 2003,11:13)]Heck Edziu had to give me advice on how to get those suckers
off the ground without hurting myself :)
You don't have a link to that post around anywhere do you? I remember seeing it but...

Back