Important issue about protein

[xeno]Julios

When it comes to calories, I need to eat about 25 cals per pound of bodyweight in order to grow. This is much more than most people, and it's because I started out very skinny and have put on about 40 pounds since. I have a high metabolism, and need more calories to create the anabolic environment that does not come naturally to me with regular amount of calories.

Thus, at 165 pounds of bodyweight, I need to consume about 4000 calories a day, which is well over the average bulking caloric requirements for my weight.

My question is this:

Do I need to scale up protein intake similarly? Should I be eating more than 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight?

Or does this issue not apply to protein?

What about Essential Fatty Acids?

I have not seen this question asked or addressed before, so forgive me if it's already been discussed.

You should keep your proteins at 0.8 - 1 gram per pound of bodyweight.

"Despite what is written in muscle magazines, there is little reason to consume more than 1 gram/lb., IF long as caloric intake is high enough (this is a big if for many people). There is a limit to how much muscle protein can be synthesized in a given time period, and eating more protein is simply converted to glucose." (Lyle McDonald, The Baseline Diet, Part 2: Protein, Carbohydrates, and Fat)

Also, eating too much protein might reduce the total effective calories you're eating because of the protein thermogenic effect... And, from what you’re saying, I don't think that this is something you want. So, in your case (and in my case it's the same thing) I 'd try to be closer to 0.8-1g instead of 1.5g / pound. (which means, at the end of the day, 80g less! That's a pretty big steak!)

To my knowledge,the same applies to EFAs : you don't need more as your calories go up. You might need more antioxidants though, but that's another story...

By the way, try to get your extra calories from Carbs and not from Fat (as you probably already know).

Julz, Manic two of my favorite people on the board.

Now I have a question, when looking at 1g/lb protein is this calculated on LBM weight or Total??

Not so seriously, should I add more Blue Cheese to compensate?? :D

I hope you realize Manic I am NOT going to let go of this.
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Now I have a question, when looking at 1g/lb protein is this calculated on LBM weight or Total??

Hi dkm! Well, it's 0.8-1g/**lb of total BW**. The **exact** reason for that... Probably because it's simpler and accurate enough...

Finding the **exact amount** needed would be complicated and, in fact, impossible, as it changes a bit all the time, depending on caloric intake, metabolism, exercise, general health, etc. Even the amount to achieve nitrogen balance (120-150g/day) is variable : your body will adapt itself to whatever protein is available (relatively speaking : I'm not talking about extremes here). In fact, I gained with MUCH less than 150g/day (i was monitoring my intake with "fitday").

But getting back to your first question, I think someone with 20% BF, weighting 180lb, would need less protein than someone who's at 8%, weighting the same... (But considering the thermogenic effect of protein, taking more prot. could actually help the 20% guy to reduce its fat/BW ratio... And that's another story.)

Maybe someone else could add some more details to my answer... Or even correct me???

P.S. : And I'd definitely add Blue Cheese to compensate. Definitely. I just can't believe your even asking the question. :mad: Are you having a faith crisis? Repeat after me : Blue Cheese is the way, Blue Cheese is the way. Say it 50 times, first thing in the morning, and then before you go to sleep. :)

Back