Hyperextension Form

colby2152

I was testing my 15RM for tons of exercises today, and I came across hyperextensions which I haven't done since the summer. Then, I would hold weight to my chest while performing the exercise. I found that holding an EZ-Bar behind my neck will be a lot more convenient and it is better. My old 15RM for hypers was around 60 lbs. The EZ-Bar weighs 25 lbs, so I figured I could add 50 lbs and I definitely couldn't do that. I did 10 lbs on the bar for a grand total of 35 lbs, 25 less than the old RM. There is no loss of strength by any means, so does that form really make that large of a difference. I think I get more stretch in my back as well as more strain from the load with the weight held behind my neck.

Just trying to get a "yes" with a simple backup explanation here.

Thanks,
Colby

When I've done hyperextensions lying parallel to the floor, I held a DB. Went up to 35kgs for 3x 10 reps.

Never been a fan of the plates, and now the gym I'm @ doesn't have a parallel board, it's at an angle...feels weird and not right on the legs.

Yeah, the gym I goto doesn't have a parallel board. It has a 45deg angled hyperextension stand.

hyperextension - that's the only pic I could get.. obvious that is parallel and the person is hold the weight to their chest

I use an EZ-Curl Bar held behind my neck which stretches my back.. I think that and the fact the weight is on top of my body and not underneath places more strain and stress on my hamstrings, glutes, etc..

Am I right?

-Colby

Back