HST E-BOOKS - EVERYTHING YOU NEED

Jester

HST E-Book listing

Hey, I've noticed lately that Fausto and Dan seem to be linking the E-Books every other day...so can we sticky this just to save the good moderators some time and to make it easier for new ppl to the site?

I think this is becoming a little bit of a problem wit the newbies, maybe Bryan or one of the moderators could make a link to it on the forum so that teh new guys can use it!

Sticky or not, we would like to have a functional website and we may get tired of repeating ourselves.
laugh.gif

Got to agree with Jester and Fausto. The e-books are considered common knowledge, yet new people may have trouble tracking them.

I guess tracking the e-books themselves may be a little hard. But, Colby also makes a good point - look at the first page of threads and there are a lot of stickies already. Do we really need another? (Maybe yes, maybe no, I myself don't know and frankly don't care about it very much, I only use the "new posts" link everytime I drop by)

Anyhoo, let the debate continue!  
laugh.gif

Regards to all,
-JV

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fausto @ Nov. 15 2005,4:15)]Sticky or not, we would like to have a functional website and we may get tired of repeating ourselves.
laugh.gif
Hi I know I'm new but check EVERY bbing forum on the internet, check your gym, check your health store..

people have and will ask the same questions over and over again, probably because it's too time consuming to learn it themselves and well..
people just like to argue about things.

speaking of which HST SUCKS HIT RULES..!!

hahahaa

Jester is right tho, I'd never have found all those on my own.
Why doesn't someone delete the 'what gym do you go to' and 'whats your user name mean'?
Those are probably less relevant than this. Probably.

first, HIT sucks, and HST rules.. just so that's clear.

Second, I like the idea of cleaning up the older stickies and stickying this one.

I think almost everyone who starts the HST program for the first time will post a "is this ok?", Heck I did..

Two solutions to that, either:
1) expand the information for beginners in an easy to understand way, which means re-writing the articles on HST for beginners.

2) Have a "Beginners HST questions forum" at the top of the forum index, and a "more advanced HST forum" below that, and perhaps make it so that newbies can only post in the beginner forum until after a certain amount of time and certain amount of posts.

Also, Every new member should get an auto private message pointing towards the FAQ, the FAQ e-book, the beginner forum, the diet forum, and welcome him to the boards.

So a little bit of organising is needed I think, a complete overhaul, if you will.

K.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]2) Have a "Beginners HST questions forum" at the top of the forum index, and a "more advanced HST forum" below that, and perhaps make it so that newbies can only post in the beginner forum until after a certain amount of time and certain amount of posts.

I like this idea - Fausto and I mentioned this before. At the very least, this forum should be seperated into beginners and advanced forums with the beginner's forum being on top. I don't know what Ikonboard let's the moderators and Bryan do, but the idea that newbies can't post in the advanced section until X amount of posts or time has passed is a great idea.

-Colby

Open forums should be just that, OPEN.

At one time I thought rearranging the forums was a good idea also but have come to the realization it won't matter how they are organized, plus the willingness of many here to help out others would be compromised in my view.

There are those who willingly and passionately seek knowledge and there are those who only want "the scoop". Why group or categorize someone based on that? Neither is wrong and both can teach and learn.

Basically for ease of use.. so good information doesn't get lost with the non-essential..

As a forum matures, the lines of interests start to show themselves and it often is a good idea to reshuffle the forum based on this evolution, but that's a discussion on perhaps grander note than I really expect people to be willing to do here.

I'd for instance love the idea of having one sub-forum which has all the latest threads on all the other sub-forums, at most a month old, and another sub-forum where old (locked), but very interesting HST threads which have disappeared from sight from all the 'rate my HST' thread (although I'm not really accusing those threads), I'd think it'd be cool to have a 'best-of' sub-forum with all the groovy discussions which might get lost otherwise.

K.

Both Dan and Stan have good points. Dan is right that a lot us are willing to help the newbies. As long as we continue to help them but also point them to the FAQ's, then we may not need an advanced section. I liked Stan's idea of having a collection of old posts that were really helpful, but maybe just place links to them in a new post and sticky that...

ahh more stickies!
butbut.gif

bump!

We definitely would like the forum moderators to help us help the newbies with smarter ways, we absolutely love to help out, but sometimes one does not have the time to go find old threads and links yadayadayada.

Bryan, Dan, surely we can smarten the already smart open forums ,hey :confused:

Personally, making a "beginners" and "advanced" is a bad idea, especially if you go at it by "numbers of post".

Face it, the number of posts you have is really no measurement of how much you know. I have a little over 500 posts, but I'm still as stupid as I was a few months ago when I had only 10. And the "Newcomer", "Acquiantance", "Friend", "Great Friend" descriptions? Doesn't mean a thing too. I look at my posts and below my icon says "Great Friend". Big whoop. Doesn't mean a dog's crap (no offense to the doggcrap method). I'm still that dumbass kid from a few months ago that was simply a "Newcomer", it's just that I post a heck of a lot of inanities, a lot of crazy stuff. Clearly, your number of posts have nothing to do with how much you know, and is really no basis for classifying someone as a "beginner" or "advanced".

And it could happen that some BB genius from other boards would decide to come here and contribute. If you organize the board to have a "beginner" and "advanced" exclusive sections, that genius would be stuck at the beginners. Wow, that's great hospitality. He'll just walk away and let us rot in hell instead of enlighten us.

And really, Dan said it all. OPEN FORUM. Nuff said.

I know, I know... we can't expect everybody to read for themselves. No utopia here. But there are a lot of guys who are willing to help a fellow out. Like Fausto. And Dan. Joe G. Colby. Faz. Jester. Totentanz. 9to5lifter. Aaron F of course. And a lot of other guys too, just too many to mention. And The Bryan too, every now and then. Although we did give everybody fair advice to read what has been posted already, if they choose not to search for themselves, they should still be free to ask questions (OPEN forum), and all of us are free to respond if we wish or, if we are feeling lazy, not respond at all especially if we feel it's a simple topic that can easily be resolved by a simple search which he can do himself. Chances are, with so many helpful people here, there will always be someone who will respond to even the most redundant questions. Like the age-old "How do I setup my HST routine".

Anyhoo, that's my pretty much unsolicited opinion. But that's the beauty of it, of this forum. Even though nobody asked my opinion, and nobody really wants to hear it, I can still post it, as long as I follow the rules of the HST board.

See you around guys! :)  
thumbs-up.gif

-JV

Here's the reason for this topic:

Important stuff worth keeping available AND visible gets shuffled around or everything gets said at some point (no new posts).

Can we have a sticky's only forum? Move useful topics into there..?

I know there's a search function, but sometimes you don't know what you're missing (and hence don't know to search for it).

I agree that these forums are and should remain FREE for everyone. However, be it a sticky or not, it would be convenient if anyone could find what is considered as "common knowledge" in one place, instead of looking around and reading through older posts just to find one link.
How many times have you seen the following?

Newbie - I have a question. What is .....

HST veteran - There is a pretty good discussion about this in the "Absolutely best HST ever" e-book. Check it out.

Newbie - I can't find that e-book you are referring to. Where is it?

HST veteran - Here is the link .....

tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

Perhaps a post with all the necessary links by Dan to the already sticky (and relevant) "Reading before Posting" could do the trick, so that everyone is happy? Basic, easy to find knowledge concentrated in one place, no new stickies, no changes to the organization of the forums whatsoever. Just an idea...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jester @ Nov. 16 2005,7:19)]Can we have a sticky's only forum? Move useful topics into there..?
Yeah, I agree with that - but as 9to5 said, it'd be easier to keep all of those links in just one stickied post such as the read before posting. Okay, so what are we waiting for? Let's gather a bunch of those classic posts and add them to that thread.

JV, I do agree with you. It is an open forum, I just had some curious thoughts to possibly clean it up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (9to5lifter @ Nov. 16 2005,10:05)]Perhaps a post with all the necessary links by Dan to the already sticky (and relevant) "Reading before Posting" could do the trick, so that everyone is happy? Basic, easy to find knowledge concentrated in one place, no new stickies, no changes to the organization of the forums whatsoever. Just an idea...
Cosign.

Just one thread with links to all the relevant threads, sort of like the FAQ, I guess... seems like a good idea.

Cosign :D

yeah, we are getting there!
happy.gif

That is exactly what I mean't one thread or sticky post with the latest best references, and it should be revised for new add ons regularly
butbut.gif

That way we can refer newbies to all the juicy stuff without having to look around, considering most of us find time while working to do this
laugh.gif

Hope the boss never finds out
laugh.gif
else I may find myself @ Virgin active (our version of Gold's) teaching old ladies and rich farts how to pump th eiron whilst listening to their latest endeavours
laugh.gif

Back