HST and Abs

jonesboy

I hate doing abs which is why they are so weak. If I do 2 sets of 15 my abs are hurting :) So, if you have week abs like myself what is the best way to implement the HST principles particularly progressive load? Do I increase the number of reps or try to increase the weight over an entire HST program cycle?

Hello :)

There really is no need to kill yourself with abs work. More than half the battle is in the diet. Aside from getting a proper diet, just do regular crunches, not so many if it kills you. As you cut the fat from your stomach area, they'll start showing.

When your abs get tougher (they eventually will despite just doing regular crunches because they also get hit with a lot of the heavy compound movements), you can add weighted crunches to your routine.

Regards,
-JV

Add some ab work in your workout. Do 2 sets in the 15/10 and 5. Increase also the weight and after some cycles you will see good results. If your fat level is not to high. :)

In my opinion, several cycles of deadlifts, bentover rows and good mornings have tightened up and strengthened my entire core far more than weighted crunches or any other ab exercises ever did.

I'd have to agree with you on that point, Totentanz. Heavy compound movements will, undoubtedly, strengthen your entire core. Supplementing with direct ab work, however, could be more advisable for an athlete looking to ensure injury prevention.

Back