HST: A challenge for newbies...

I

imported_etothepii

When you're fairly new to weight lifting, the typical HST workout can be difficult to implement -- mostly because max's are low, and in many cases, 15, 10 and 5 RM's are close together. This doesn't mean it can be done, just that it's more of a challenge.

A perfect examle for me is pullups. I could barely do 3 sets of 5 pull ups before I started HST. For my 15's, I used a foot rest, and assisted myself in pull ups. I couldn't accurately increase weight throughout the 15's, so I ended up alternating pull ups and bent over rows. I used the same assistance on the pull ups each time, and increased weight on the rows like I should.

Now that I'm in my 10's, I'm doing pull ups only, but this time I'm merely resting one foot, taking some of the weight off, but I'm not assisting myself in the pull at all. I'll do it this all the way throughout the 10's. Maybe I'll hang a ten pound of weight on myself for the last two workouts or so.

By the time I get to the 5's, I expect to be able to do 3 sets of 5 pull ups unassisted, and possible adding some weight around the last couple of workouts -- my strength is increasing.

Negatives will be easy. I'll add a bit more weight than I can pull up, then step up a ladder to the pull up bar and lower myself down.

I expect gains through this method since I am following hypertrophy principles as much as I can. By the time I get to another cycle, I expect to do more, adding weight, etc. Maybe a few cycles down the line, I won't need any assistance at all.

I am also repeating weight two workouts in a row when I need to, zig-zagging weights between cycles, etc. From this newbie to any others out there, I would like to encourage you to be creative and follow the principles as best as you can!

I was really weak when I first started HST myself. I find it helps to sometimes repeat weights up to 3 times in a row. Don't worry though, as long as you push yourself, your strength should shoot up quickly. I'm rowing twice as much as I was a year ago for my 5 rep max, for instance, I'm sure your's or any newbies gains would be comparable.

agree with tot..if you have to use a weight three times that should be ok..we dont actually know how long rbe lasts for..imo..it lasts longer than we think..i think you can tell when the weight is not doing anygood then step up the weight..
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

Back