HS-CRE

Steve McDermott

Ok, I've been wanting to start using Creatine for a while now.  Since Bryan will be selling creatine soon, I have decided to give it a try and I just pre ordered it.

A couple of questions.  

Should I use it while dieting?  I still have a small amount of fat to lose before I start bulking again.  Although I really don't want to go over 12% BF even while bulking.  It takes me forever to take it off.  So, will I still see the benefits?

As far as loading goes, do you spread the 20g out over the whole day, of just take it all at once?

I will be starting my 5th cycle just as the creatine arrives.  Should I take it during the 15s, or start during the 10s?  

The whole issue of what to take it with.  Do I take it with some high gi carbs, warm it, add it to my protein shake?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I know you guys will have the answers.
worship.gif

Steve

Hi Steve,

Hop over to the "Creatine, Once and for all" thread started by me. The answers are over there.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Should I use it while dieting? I still have a small amount of fat to lose before I start bulking again. Although I really don't want to go over 12% BF even while bulking. It takes me forever to take it off. So, will I still see the benefits?
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

You can use it while dieting as creatine has no caloric value.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I will be starting my 5th cycle just as the creatine arrives. Should I take it during the 15s, or start during the 10s?
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

IMO, i think you can start taking creatine at the beginning of a cycle, that is, the first workout of 15s. It doesnt matter because it isnt an AAS or prohormone.

===================

i got a question :D : Anybody here knows how to use creatine to complement HST like Primer and Driver?

I heard Bryan is going to put up a &quot;ultimate creatine FAQ&quot; on this website. Hope it comes soon.

To Bryan: It would be a great idea if you can move articles written by u, Lyle and Elzi here. Seems to me, its all scattered over the Internet.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Steve McDermott @ July 05 2002,09:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ok, I've been wanting to start using Creatine for a while now.  Since Bryan will be selling creatine soon, I have decided to give it a try and I just pre ordered it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Keen. I also look forward to Bryans' Creatine Faq; I'm sure he'll have good usage advice to go with his Creatine.

At any rate, here's what I've gleaned over time:

There is, so far, no logical reason -- scientifically or from studies -- to cycle creatine.

Nextly, you don't HAVE to load. You can start on a regular maintenance dose, and you will reach peak creatine muscular levels in about a month. Alternately, you can start with loading dosages (much larger) and get your muscles up to peak creatine levels faster (a week or two.) Creatine loading is inherently wasteful -- the body rejects the creatine at a faster rate as the muscle become closer to saturation. Spreading out the dose during the day while loading is likely to reduce the amount of rejection; it may allow to load with a lower loading dose, or allow you to reach saturation more quickly.

No matter how high you make your maintenance dose, your muscles will not go beyond their natural creatine threshold, so don't waste the extra creatine. It's not expensive, but it's not free, either.

Free creatine in you body will also show up in other areas while circulating, even if it isn't stored there. Creatine attracts water, so free creatine in your fat may cause slight bloating, especially during loading. Cut off supplemental creatine before a show -- muscle levels will drop off rather slowly, but free ciculating creatine will be gone in days.

It's a good idea, though perhaps not objectively proven, to take creatine immediately before working out. The increased blood flow to the muscles helps deliver the creatine where you want it.

As far as taking it with carbs, with citric acid, warm, cold, dissolved, etc., I've seen little indication that it really makes a meaningful difference. Your muscles might reach saturation a little earlier or later, but eventually they get there and you're just maintaining. Unless you're trying to maintain peak levels with the smallest possible maintenance dose to save money, there's no purpose to trying to optimize uptake.

One thing I have seen is that coarse-grain creatines may cause stomache upset if not thoroughly dissolved.

Also, creatine should not be dissovled ahead of time -- creatine in solution will convert, in ratio, to creatinine. Drink it when you make it.

You can start taking creating at any phase of HST, and you can take it while dieting. The major functions are a slight increase in muscle fullness because of water gain (usually considered a good thing) and increased muscular performance for short-term power activities. Neither of these should negatively impact HST or dieting.

Lastly, the negative rumors about creatine seem to be either highly unlikely or outright false.

There are anecdotale reports of people suffering increased rates of muscle cramps after going on creatine. These may be false anecdotes, but are sometimes attributed to people not taking in enought water (speculation on creatine's water-attracting habit) or people's muscles just needing time to acclimate to the larger size. Most people do not objectively experience any cramping, and it's unlikely that the phenomenon exists.

There are occasional horror stories of people tearing muscles. This is usually in the context of something that could tear a muscle with or without creatine, but the tear is attributed to creatine. I.e., if you've just blown away your 1RM PR, and then you try another 20 pounds on top of that, and you tear your pec, is that the fault of the creatine? In reasonable exercise use, creatine has been found to be very safe.

Lastly, there's a lot of creatine research out there. If you find anything that contradicts what I've said, let me know! Thanks!

Well, That was very informative.  Thanks for the great post.  

I think I will give loading a shot.  Probably 10g for 5 days split into 2 doses/day.  I will try and do it during the week of the 15s (if it's here).  My reasoning (which could be wrong) is that since these are the more glycogen depleting/increased blood flow workouts, that I will get to peak concentration levels more easily.   At least it won't hurt doing it this way.

What would you suggest for a maintenance dose?  I was thinking somehwere around 5g/day, but if I can get away with less I will.

Thanks again,

Steve

pre-ordered mine too to have it in time for the start of my second cycle. Compared to most supps it looks to have some proven science behind it and it's relatively cheap. Hard to pass up at least trying it for a cycle.

As for minimum maintenance dose, one of Blade's posts suggested 3 to 5 grams per day. Since this is a well-over 200lb guy talking and I'm currently only 147lb, I guess I'll go with the 3g per day.

Most references recommend 5g per day for maintenance. 3g is probably enough, but it's cheap, and there are no side effects (at these levels). Also, less than 5g starts getting hard to measure with powders. (Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe. . .)

Then again, your bottle WILL last nearly twice as long at 3g per day. . . and cheap ain't free. If you're in it for the long haul, you have to consider the price adding up per year. . .

Personally, I maintain on it lightly -- I take 5g 3x/week, immediately before workouts. I'm not terribly concerned about having absolute peak creatine in my muscles at all times; if I'm over 90% of the potential gain (relative to daily maint), it's cool by me. It's a big benefit relative to my baseline diet, since I'm vegetarian, and most natural dietary creatine comes from meats.

One reasoning loading is good: you're more likely to see a difference in muscular water gain if you load rapidly, which is cool. If you start with a maintenance dose and get the effect spread over a month, you may not really notice the size gain day-to-day, or may not attribute it to the creatine. I suspect that's the main reason the supplement industry so strongly advocates loading to start.

Back