How to touch my toes?

keenef4

It is very embarrassed whenever I do this stretch or just seeing other people doing it. I don't know what its name is but I will try to describe it (but I think everyone already know what I am trying to say but just makeing sure)
tounge.gif
:

Standing with straight legs, bend down at hip and touch the toes by the fingers (some people can even touch their toes by their palms
ghostface.gif
). Now it's me; I can touch my palms too but not at the toes but at the ...... knees
blush.gif

My current %fat is about 20% but I really don't think it's a factor because I have never ever been able to pass this point in my life
mad.gif

Please give me some advices on how to improve my flexibilty here. Does doing straight-leg deadlift and hyperextension help?

If yes, then it is very good because I also wanna do them to work my hamstrings. I don't know if squat and normal deadlift work hamsting decent enough (if any) because the exrx.net site says that hamstrings only work as Dynamic Stabilizers in these exercises.

Thank you very much in advance,
Keene

Hey Keene, SLDLs, regular deads and Oly squats all work your hams to a greater or lesser extent. If you have limited hip flexibility then working your hams with SLDLs over time will help but it would also be good to do some dynamic stretching at times other than training times. Don't do loads of stretching prior to working out. Not a good idea (see the FAQs) Save it for afterwards.

Do be sure to get your form right with SLDLs. Don't lock your knees and keep your lower-back tight and flat (not hyperextended) during the motion. No need to stand on a block either. If you do these right you will feel plenty of stretch in your hams. Just be careful initially while you get used to the exercise. Perform nice, smooth movements.

If you find yourself rounding your lower back, because you can't go as low as you would like, then try to think of your nody rotating around your hips while your back stays tight. Only go as far as you are able without compromising this form. Once you have lowered the weight to the lowest position you can manage, hold it there for a few moments and really feel the tension in your hams before moving back to an upright position.

Weighted stretches like this are a great way to help you to increase your range of motion over time. Your hams and glutes are strong muscles so you will be able to increase the loads quite substantially over a few cycles.

Just remember that hip flexibility is the key here, not spine flexibility.

Thank you lol

By mentioning not stretching prior to workout, do you refer to its effect on muscles' strength? I think I have read that in a Thinkmuscle newsletter.

Back