how to keep increasing load when using low weights

jmm

I'm trying to plan out a new hst cycle. Sadly, the weights I'm using are low, which means that if I go to my max in the 15s/10s, this will leave me little space to progress on the 5s (my 5 rep max is sometimes only one or two increments more than my 10 rep max).

Last cycle, I kind-of winged this, ending 15s and 10s lifting at or slightly over my (previous) max, then adding more weight every 2/3 sessions while doing the 5s until I hit failure. Is there a better way of doing this, or should I carry on as before?

TIA.

There's nothing wrong with zigzag (weights on a later day being lower than a previous day), in fact I would argue its an important part of the program. So just work backwards from your RMs and keep lifting, if your 10RM is close to your 5RM then lifting your 10RM weight repeatedly will give you good progress (the closer to your RM the weight is, the longer it will be effective).

Start each rep range at about 70% of the RM, so first day is 70% of 15RM, then 2 weeks later its 70% of 10RM, then 70% of 5RM and so on.

I'd also recommend continuing your cycle to increase strength, in fact if you're not that strong you should focus more on gaining strength and less on hypertrophy. Once you're strong and taken advantage of neurological improvements, you'll have a better oportunity to use progression and grow. So spend lots of time lifting as heavy as you can.

Thanks - so lifting say 15*25kg one session than 10*20kg the next is OK?

And yeah, I will be trying to up my previous maxes at the end of 15/10/5rep phases.

<div>
(jmm @ Mar. 03 2007,13:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks - so lifting say 15*25kg one session than 10*20kg the next is OK?</div>
Short answer: yes.

You do want to be lifting heavier weights at the end of the 10s than you were at the end of the 15s, but some zig-zag is fine.

Thanks again. Anyway, good to get back to the gym, but man I ache now
biggrin.gif

Back