How to find max

TXS

I read the HST for dummies thread, and I'm a little confused on finding my maxes.

ex: Monday I start out with a weight that I think I can lift to exhaustion by 15, but I fail around 10-11. If I lower to weight to get to 15, Its not accurate, since I've just used so much energy getting to 10.

Am I making this harder than it should be??

Thanks

<div>
(TXS @ Dec. 14 2006,16:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I read the HST for dummies thread, and I'm a little confused on finding my maxes.

ex: Monday I start out with a weight that I think I can lift to exhaustion by 15, but I fail around 10-11.  If I lower to weight to get to 15, Its not accurate, since I've just used so much energy getting to 10.

Am I making this harder than it should be??

Thanks</div>
When I started HST, I never actually found my maxes. I just used a rep calculator. None of the rep calculators I found online went past 10 reps, so I downloaded &quot;open fitness&quot; which has a calc that goes up to 15 reps. They have a free trial, and their free version's calculator works indefinitely, so you never have to pay. The 'reps' are just an estimate, so they won't be exactly precise, but they will get you close enough to where you can adjust toward the end of your cycles when you start HST and then after you complete the first cycle you won't have to guess anymore.

http://www.workoutware.com/

<div>
(TXS @ Dec. 14 2006,16:06)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Am I making this harder than it should be??</div>
If you know any of your maxes, here's an online calculator that will go up to 15 reps:

http://strengthnspeed.com/Powerlifting/MaxCalculator.htm

I've found it fairly accurate for my 15, 10, and 5 rm's. If anything, it underestimates a tiny bit, which is better than overestimating IMO.

You overestimate your ability and burned out before you get a reading so...(this works great for me).

Almost underestimate yourself and if you almost hit failure at 15, you did well. If you feel you can still pump out 5 more. Add a couple pounds during your next workout, just don't try to do another set the same day because it will be an inaccurate measurement due to fatigue.

I am now at my 10s and my average addition of weight is 25-30 pounds.

Now with workouts similar to barbell curls the increase is around 15 lbs.

You should keep a log and whenever you pump out your reps and feel there should have been an increase, add a plus if the weight was too light and add a minus if it was too heavy.

Thanks for the calculator!
tounge.gif

TXS, just a thought. If you burned out at 10-11 this workout, drop 5 pounds and try again next workout. Maybe then you'll hit 15. Don't try to do it all in one day.

Back