How should I start?

Stefan

I haven't been able to train for about three months and I was just wondering if I should find my RM's during the first workout or take it easy for a few weeks?

Ideally you would spend a week finding your new maxes and then SD for at least a week and then begin your program. In actuality, I would guesstimate my maxes as being maybe 10% less than they were 3 months ago and start right in. You can adjust the weights as you go along if you are materially off from your true maxes.

I agree with O&G. Finding your maxes after 3 months off would probably cause extreme soreness and a bit of conditioning to the weights (so the 15's later wouldn't be as much effective). You are pretty deconditioned now and I guess that even previously "easy" weights will get the job done (cause microtrauma, that is). Try to estimate your maxes for each rep range, taking into account your previous lifts and allow for a reduction in the weight due to your 3 month absence. Start right away and repeat weights if necessary. By the time you get to the 10's you should be on your way.

Back