how much sugar is ok?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (b0xm0ns73r @ July 28 2005,4:23)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ July 28 2005,9:54)]Caffeine has a diuretic effect on people at rest.
You gotta remember i am dumb ole uneducated country boy.
what is a diuretic effect?
Diuretic, a drug used to increase urine formation and output. Diuretics are prescribed for the treatment of edema (the accumulation of excess fluids in the tissues of the body), which often occurs as the result of disease of the kidneys, liver, lungs, or heart. Diuretics are also used to treat hypertension (high blood pressure).

Actually coffee, tea and other caffeinated drinks don't, for the most part, cause any more fluid loss or reduce hydration than non caffeinated drinks.

Clin Nurs Res. 1997 May;6(2):186-96.
The effect of xanthines on fluid balance.

To determine whether drinks containing caffeine and theophylline cause more fluid loss than equivalent amounts of non-xanthine drinks, a convenience sample of 30 adults between the ages of 57 and 81 was selected. Subjects were picked for 2 groups: those who had developed tolerance to these xanthines and used them freely (the X Group) and those who habitually omitted drinks containing xanthines from their diets (the NO X Group). Both groups consumed approximately 2 liters of fluid daily for 5 days. When overall means were compared by analysis of variance, the two groups did not differ on serum osmolality for Day 5, change in serum osmolality (from Day 0 to Day 5), adjusted I/O ratio, percent weight change from Day 0, or percent weight change from previous day. Analysis of the same variables on a daily basis indicated that the X group was better hydrated on Day 4.

J Am Coll Nutr. 2000 Oct;19(5):591-600. Related Articles, Links
The effect of caffeinated, non-caffeinated, caloric and non-caloric beverages on hydration.

OBJECTIVE: To examine the effect of various combinations of beverages on hydration status in healthy free-living adult males. METHODS: In a counterbalanced, crossover manner, 18 healthy adult males ages 24 to 39, on four separate occasions, consumed water or water plus varying combinations of beverages. Clinical guidelines were used to determine the fluid allowance for each subject. The beverages were carbonated, caffeinated caloric and non-caloric colas and coffee. Ten of the 18 subjects consumed water and carbonated, non-caffeinated, citrus soft drink during a fifth trial. Body weight, urine and blood assays were measured before and after each treatment. RESULTS: Slight body weight loss was observed on all treatments, with an average of 0.30% for all treatments. No differences (p>0.05) among treatments were found for body weight changes or any of the biochemical assays. Biochemical assays conducted on first voids and 24-hour urines included electrolytes, creatine, osmolality and specific gravity. Blood samples were analyzed for hemoglobin, hematocrit. electrolytes, osmolality, urea nitrogen, creatinine and protein. CONCLUSIONS: This preliminary study found no significant differences in the effect of various combinations of beverages on hydration status of healthy adult males. Advising people to disregard caffeinated beverages as part of the daily fluid intake is not substantiated by the results of this study. The across-treatment weight loss observed, when combined with data on fluid-disease relationships, suggests that optimal fluid intake may be higher than common recommendations. Further research is needed to confirm these results and to explore optimal fluid intake for healthy individuals.

Lastly, but most importantly, since we are on an Exercise Forum. I found this one back during my battle with Sonny on hydration issues.

Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2004 Aug;14(4):419-29.
Rehydration with a caffeinated beverage during the nonexercise periods of 3 consecutive days of 2-a-day practices.

The purpose of this study was to assess the influence of rehydration with a caffeinated beverage during nonexercise periods on hydration status throughout consecutive practices in the heat. Ten (7 women, 3 men) partially heat- acclimated athletes (age 24 +/-1y, body fat 19.2 +/- 2 %, weight 68.4 +/- 4.0 kg, height 170 +/- 3 cm) completed 3 successive days of 2-a-day practices (2 h/practice, 4 h/d) in mild heat (WBGT = 23 C). The 2 trials (double-blind, random, cross-over design) included; 1) caffeine (CAF) rehydrated with Coca-Cola and 2) caffeine-free (CF) rehydrated with Caffeine-Free Coca-Cola. Urine and psychological measures were determined before and after each 2-h practice. A significant difference was found for urine color for the post-AM time point, F = 5.526, P = 0.031. No differences were found among other variables (P > 0.05). In summary, there is little evidence to suggest that the use of beverages containing caffeine during nonexercise might hinder hydration status.

Just my 2 cents :)

Dan

Hmm, I never actually thought that it might not be true, since I piss like crazy when I take caffeine pills.

I found one thing on pubmed...

Caffeine vs caffeine-free sports drinks: effects on urine production at rest and during prolonged exercise.

Wemple RD, Lamb DR, McKeever KH.

Exercise Physiology Laboratory, Ohio State University, Columbus, USA.

We compared the effects of caffeinated vs non-caffeinated carbohydrate electrolyte (CE) drinks on urine volume (UV), free water clearance (CH2O), fractional excretion of water (FEH2O), and osmolar excretion during 4 h of rest or 1 h rest followed by 3 h of cycling at 60% VO2max in six subjects. We also tested maximal performance at 85% VO2max following the 3-h exercise trials. Throughout the two resting trials and the two rest + exercise trials, subjects ingested CE (total volume = 35 ml/kg) without (PLAC) or with (CAFF) caffeine (25 mg/dl). Blood samples were collected, and body weight and UV were recorded every hour. Urine and blood were analyzed for osmolality and creatinine, and plasma catecholamine concentrations were determined. At rest, mean (+/-SE) UV between 60 min and 240 min was greater for CAFF (1843 +/- 166 ml) vs PLAC (1411 +/- 181 ml) (p < 0.01); during exercise the difference in UV between CAFF (398 +/- 32 ml) and PLAC (490 +/- 57 ml) was not significant. Cycling performance was unaffected by caffeine. Plasma catecholamine concentrations were not different between PLAC and CAFF but were greater during exercise than rest (p < 0.01) and may have counteracted the diuretic effect of caffeine observed at rest. Thus, CAFF consumed in CE during moderate endurance exercise apparently does not compromise bodily hydration status.

It supports the idea that caffeine has a diuretic effect on people at rest, whereas the other bolded parts show that it doesn't have that effect on exercising subjects.

I had another source, but couldn't find it on pubmed. It's from a textbook reference, so I'll put it up here, if anyone can do anything with it, great.

Van Handel, P. 1983. Caffeine. In [/i] Ergogenic Aids in Sports[/i], ed. M. H. Williams. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rovi @ July 29 2005,4:03)]It supports the idea that caffeine has a diuretic effect on people at rest, whereas the other bolded parts show that it doesn't have that effect on exercising subjects.
Its one paper, others including some the Dkm posted. Which is the point of adequate evidence base for making claims, becuase one paper does not show the complete relationship

Caffeine dose is also pretty high

You asked for a paper, I gave you a paper. Also, I didn't come in here with intentions to "defend" caffeine as a diuretic, just had a general wondering.
That's fine if caffeine isn't a diuretic, my world won't be shattered
laugh.gif

My understand was that caffeine had a mild diuretic effect (i.e. you pee more), but that the total fluid volume in caffeinated drinks more than compensated. Caffeine pills, which does not necessarily involve a lot of water, may have different results.

cheers,
Jules

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ July 29 2005,1:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rovi @ July 29 2005,6:57)]You asked for a paper, I gave you a paper.
i asked old and grey
Ooooo ouch... Looks like what you wanted wasn't a paper, but just flame baiting O&G.
thumbs-up.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rovi @ July 29 2005,7:35)]Ooooo ouch... Looks like what you wanted wasn't a paper, but just flame baiting O&G.
thumbs-up.gif
No, I wanted a paper from Old and Gray.
If I just wanted a paper from anyone, I would have asked that.

If I wanted to bait old and gray I would have done it better than that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vicious @ July 29 2005,12:10)]My understand was that caffeine had a mild diuretic effect (i.e. you pee more), but that the total fluid volume in caffeinated drinks more than compensated.  Caffeine pills, which does not necessarily involve a lot of water, may have different results.
cheers,
Jules
I believe this is the true point, fluid balance is more responsible for hydration than anything else. Jules makes a very good point on the caffeine pills though, but even if you were using caffeine pills I feel that as long as you are consuming enough fluids to compensate for the loss then no big deal, strictly as far as hydration. Other effects of high caffeine doses are a different matter.

Sorry guys I haven't seen anything yet that will make me let go of my 2 cups of coffee every morning ritual. I am weak...
sad.gif

Dan

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ July 30 2005,2:11)]Jules makes a very good point on the caffeine pills though, but even if you were using caffeine pills I feel that as long as you are consuming enough fluids to compensate for the loss then no big deal, strictly as far as hydration.
except the bulk of the research shows no real effect from caffeine pills...

both at rest and during exercise. And with hte change in WADA code with caffeine being allowed, people are using large quantities of caffeine, getting back to the old days of 3gram supposatories.

Hmm, drink a cup of nice tasty warm cup of joe or stick a capsule up my butt, tough decision, tough tough decision.

No real effect? You are still speaking of hydration I assume? That would seem logical to me. Aaron can you point to a good review most of the ones I can find aren't all that explicit?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dkm1987 @ July 30 2005,12:46)]No real effect? You are still speaking of hydration I assume? That would seem logical to me. Aaron can you point to a good review most of the ones I can find aren't all that explicit?
Yea, hydration. Ergogenic is a different story. I cant say I have seen a review on this particular area, I am just going off reading a pile of the research a year or two ago.

Caffeine is my favourite drug

Earlier in the post the discussion focused on the sugar content of sodas. I don't know how all of you feel about the effect of soda on body fat levels, but my girlfriend is about 5'7", 120 pounds and consumes 3-4 cokes every day. Bless her because I don't know about you guys, but I banned soda from my diet and I still can't get rid of that thin layer of fat around my midsection!

Back