How many different exercises for one muscle?

namemattersnot

I noticed a rather large (in terms of muscles) guy at the gym working out his torso. He did about 5 various exercises for his biceps. Alternating weights and reps.

On HST Ic do 1 exercise with 3 sets for each musle group. Am I wrong?

I honestly have a feeling that I'm not doing something correctly, although I do follow the sample program from this web site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (namemattersnot @ June 14 2005,12:04)]I noticed a rather large (in terms of muscles) guy at the gym working out his torso. He did about 5 various exercises for his biceps. Alternating weights and reps.
On HST Ic do 1 exercise with 3 sets for each musle group. Am I wrong?
I honestly have a feeling that I'm not doing something correctly, although I do follow the sample program from this web site.
No you are not wrong, but neither is he.

As you continue to subject your muscle to loading your muscle becomes more resistant to the loading effect, therefore in cases where someone does not SD, they may need a whole lot more volume to compensate. So many people do multiple sets for each body part and there are a ton of schemes to work the muscle, including working to Failure, Pyramid, Extremely high volume, Instinctive training and many many more. Now all this is not needed when you understand that muscle becomes resistant to load, also known as Repeat Bout Effect or RBE. If this gentleman where to understand this aspect then he would realize that he can work his muscle to a pulp and not make much of a difference.

Back