higher reps for arms?

MaFi0s0

I have heard that some people benefit from higher reps for direct arm work, so instead of keeping it around the 10 rep range, they would keep it around the 12 rep range, I am wondering if anyone here has had the same experience maybe before they started HST.

If this is the case would it be feasable to incorperate this into HST by doing 15-10-5 for the rest of the body, and maybe 15-12-8 for direct arm work.

Maybe for arm isolations? My arms react best to heavy low rep compound movements. However, my legs react great to higher reps.

If you must do arm isos, I would recommend that you try Max-Stim for your bis and tris for a cycle and see how you get on. I don't subscribe to the number of reps-per-set idea. I like to think in terms of progressing the load on the muscle group in question over the course of the cycle. Keeping the total reps approx constant over the cycle as the loads increase is a good way to ensure that you are providing adequate strain on the muscle to induce hypertrophy (but, of course, you have to give your body enough food to actually grow afterwards).

Like Colby though, I expect that you would see better progress in your arms if you really attacked your dips, bench, rows and chins. But I don't know how conditioned you are to training or for how long you have been training. If you already have 17 inch upper arms or over then some iso work may be worth it during the 10s and 5s.

Yeah agreed arms grow enough through the 4 upper body compounds, bench press/shoulder press for tris and rows/chins for bis.

I personally do bicep curls and tri-pushdowns on the 1st week of each rep cycle, cause that's when the weights are light and its easy. Also gives an extra pump. I find my arms grow more in the 2nd week though with compounds when the weights are heavy (approaching RM).

Genetically I have a big torso and small arms, I did 6 months of solid training a couple years ago, and I have started training again with just compounds, no direct arm work at all yet.
I made a lot of mistakes back then because I was blindly following my trainers advice.
My triceps were holding back my bench press towards the end, so this time around, I want to give my arms, especially my triceps a much better work out.

Im still on my 1st week of training, and I am taking in 1 gram of protein per 1 lb of lean body mass.
I am taking in 5grams of creatine a day with about 15-20grams of glucose.
Between muscle memory and the creatine my muscles are slowly starting to fill out again, I would guess after 2-3 months I would be back to my old strength and size, then I will be starting HST wich I understand fairly well.

What is max-stim?

<div>
(MaFi0s0 @ Aug. 31 2006,02:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">What is max-stim?</div>
A system developed by some guy named Dan Moore.
biggrin.gif

It utilizes progressive loading similar to HST but the fatigue management allows one to work beyond your normal RM for each phase without reducing the number of reps.

Thanks, I appreciate the research, I just skimmed through it and it looks very logical and promising, I will be sure to do these on my arms, is it ok if I print that out?

<div>
(MaFi0s0 @ Aug. 31 2006,09:19)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thanks, I appreciate the research, I just skimmed through it and it looks very logical and promising, I will be sure to do these on my arms,  is it ok if I print that out?</div>
Sure, just D/L the PDF and print it.

<div>
(MaFi0s0 @ Aug. 31 2006,02:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am taking in 5grams of creatine a day</div>
I switched to this and it is working very well for me.

http://www.kre-alkalyn.net/

depends on your body but i get the feeling my arms respond well to high reps,i dont seem to get much feeling from doing low and heavy reps,apart from joint pain and no pump/

<div>
(drpierredebs @ Aug. 31 2006,12:38)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE"><div>
(MaFi0s0 @ Aug. 31 2006,02:40)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am taking in 5grams of creatine a day</div>
I switched to this and it is working very well for me.

http://www.kre-alkalyn.net/</div>
I read the whole site and contacted Jeff about the high pH level of the product interfering with urine pH, he said it shouldnt really affect urine pH, because you dont excrete creatine but creatanine wich is a difrent substance all together, he ment after it is spent it would convert to creatanine with a normal pH range. nonetheless I cant see how something with a pH of 12-14 can be good for you, thats almost double the value of baking soda, I cant find anything with a higher pH then 9.

Have you had blood and urine tests since?
I am thinking about getting this stuff but I used to take antacids a lot until they started screwing with my body because of the overall high pH.

i think training with creatine can be usefull if you cycle it properly but to be honest dispite what people say it is mainly water retention at the end of the day,i used it for 5 years and im glad to be off it,i look less bloated.it heled me train harder,but i decided that id save my money and put it to good use.

I have decided to just use it before workouts only, I am getting sick of all the thirst, its the same reason I dont take vitamin tablets wich are high in vitamin B.

I am thinking of trying kre-alkalyn but it raises stomach pH from 3 to 9.

In contrast to the micronized forms I used in the past, I have had NO bloating whatsoever.

No Acid reflux, no acid indigestion, no stingy piss, no blood no side effects other than being able to really get in some heavy pulls.

I wouldn´t know if I am thirsy because I drink a few liters a day of water abyway.

Regarding arms, what I have to do in case my arms are disproportional that I'm unable to finish any exercise for my left arm based on MAX weights for right one? Should I switch to calculation of MAXes for my left arm?

Back