Hey guys, looking for a bit of guidance.

martin529

Hello everyone! I have a question for you all! When I do bench presses and even military presses I try to focus purely on the muscle being worked (chest/shoulders). Since I am a real beginner with not much experience at all would flat bench, incline bench, dips, and military presses be enough for triceps/chest? (I know military is for shoulders mainly).

I'm trying to work out this program the best I can as far as the HST go. I'm resetting all of my weights and working on focusing on just the muscle being lifted. It kind of worried me that by doing that I wouldn't gain size on the triceps/biceps using my compound movements.

Oh yeah! Here are the exercises that I plan on using! Please feel free to guide me!

Legs:
Back Squat
Front Squats
Good Mornings

Chest:
Flat Bench
Incline Bench
Dips

Back:
Barbell Rows
Pullups
Deadlifts

Traps:
Shrugs

Shoulder:
Military Press (or seated shoulder)
Rear Delt Raises
Lateral Raises

Biceps:
Barbell Curls

Triceps:
Tricep Extensions

Calves:
Standing Calf Raises
Seated Calf Raises

Abs:
Cable Crunches

you have picked good exercises,why do you need help
rock.gif

<div>
(faz @ May 19 2008,4:00)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">you have picked good exercises,why do you need help
rock.gif
.</div>
Yeah, I kind of rambled on. I'm just worried about being a beginner and afraid of not getting anywhere I guess. I guess I wanted to know that if I focus on the chest muscle while doing benches, incline benches, and dips if that would be enough of a catalyst for my triceps to grow. The same with barbell rows, pullups, and etc.

Not sure if there is a real need for a multitude of isolation exercises for the arms since they get worked with compound movements.

I think as long as you are not planning on doing all of those exercises every workout you are fine. Meaning you should pick ONE exercise from each category (IE: one from Chest, from legs Legs and so on) and make your workout up from those exercises. If you feel the need to do more than one exercise per body part per week then you can alternate them in a A/B workout scheme. But being a beginner you will do fine with just these exercises.

Back Squat
Bench Press
Military Press
Barbell Row

If you think you need alternates I would add:
Dips (alternate with bench press)
Pull-ups (alternate with barbell rows)
Dead Lift (alternate with back squat)

Search for the &quot;Simplify and Win&quot; thread and you will see what I'm talking about.

Thank you! I'm just worried about not growing I guess, or something developing and something else not developing. I don't want to look like the hunchback of Notre Dame.

<div>
(martin529 @ May 19 2008,7:05)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Thank you! I'm just worried about not growing I guess, or something developing and something else not developing. I don't want to look like the hunchback of Notre Dame.</div>
If you are worried about not growing, just make sure you are eating a ton of food while you are doing this routine.

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Not sure if there is a real need for a multitude of isolation exercises for the arms since they get worked with compound movements. </div>
stick with the compounds they should work the tris and bis ok,if in a few months you think they are not growing add in some isos,some of the guys on here start with isos and as they get into the heavy 10s,5s,they drop the isos.

Back