Help - I can't figure out what exercises are what

centris

Help!
I will start with the question - and end with details.
1. How can I learn what exercises work what muscles, and the common words used to describe them? Looking at many programs on this forum and else where I understand only about half of the exercises they describe.
2. Do I need to change exercises– or do I keep them the same thru out the cycle?
I am new to weight lifting and have been working with a trainer for the last 6 weeks to get me started. I have seen good progress (as expected for a first timer) I was very athletic to start but losing it at my age (32)
I would like to build a simple 3 day HST work out program, and I know how to do several of the exercises already after working with my trainer, I am just not sure what they are called. And my trainer has not kept me consistently doing the same thing, but changing it day to day. I get the feeling he is trying to keep me guessing.
I am going to stop working with the trainer, just too expensive. I want to start the HST programmer so I am just trying to get my routine/program down.

I would recommend the following for a beginner using HST 3 times per week:

Dumbell incline bench press
Chin ups or underhand lat pull downs
Dips or if you can't do them, do pushups or assisted dips
Seated Cable Rows
Dumbell Military Shoulder press
Dumbell shrugs
Squats
Leg Curls
Calf raises
Close grip bench presses
Strict barbell curls
Abs

Do 1 set of each for all reps for the first cycle and see how it goes. You can always add more volume next cycle.

The 12 exercises should take, with proper warmup, about 40 to 45 minutes to complete.

Let me know if you aren't sure what some of the exercises are.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Old and Grey @ July 13 2004,9:16)]I would recommend the following for a beginner using HST 3 times per week:
You can get a great education at this website: ExRX.net. It'll tell you what muscles are where, what exercises work which muscles and which muscles help the main ones out. Go to the Exercise and Muscle Directory, it'll have everything you need, and you'll get it there faster than posting for one of us to answer here.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (centris @ July 14 2004,12:02)]1. How can I learn what exercises work what muscles, and the common words used to describe them?
Do yourself a favor and get the best dang book out there (afaik): The Insider's Tell-All Handbook on Weight Training (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...526-1626457?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

It'll tell you everything. Then use ExRx.net to see how the movement is done if you find the illustrations+description in the book insufficient. I still look in my ancient copy now and then to try to get rid of minor flaws in my execution, and it's the only book in my collection I return to somewhat regularly...

Thanks for the info, I checked out the site and alot of these I am already doing in my current exercises - just didnt know what they were called.

I have taken the program you suggested and just changed it around a bit, trying to stay in exercises my trainer has shown me how to do properly so far, and also I do not have a spotter so I whent to machines for alot of things for now. Any feedback is welcomed - Next Steps?
1. For a m/w/f schedule I will start by doing my 15 Rep Max for each exercise monday, 10 wed, 5 on Friday.
2. Then a week from the next monday start my routine - (i can use the calculator for that I figure)
Dumbell incline bench press
lat pull downs
Cable Bent-over Triceps Extension
Assisted Triceps Dip
Cable Rear Delt Row
Lever Shoulder Press
Barbell Upright Row
Sled Hack Squat
Lever Lying Leg Curl
Lever Seated Leg Curl
Sled 45° Calf Raise
Dumbbell Incline Triceps Extension