heat can reduce atrophy

I don't see why this wouldn't be beneficial during SD... I don't have access to a hot tub, but my gym does have a suna and a steam room. Maybe I should consider using them every day during SD - 15 minutes ever day...

read the above post techo - if the heatshock protein prevents connective tissue breakdown, then your SD will be rendered less useful, since the whole point of SD is to allow breakdown of connective tissue.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]read the above post techo - if the heatshock protein prevents connective tissue breakdown, then your SD will be rendered less useful, since the whole point of SD is to allow breakdown of connective tissue.

You thought is flawed, a breakdown in connective tissue such as tendons would EASILY lead to overuse injuries once weight training becomes frequent. The universal ideology of 'sd' is to adapt to an enviroment of absent of mechanical loading, leading to the general breakdown of adaptive tissue that is formed as the result of myotrauma. This is a way that we overcome the repeated effort effect as weight loads become increasingly difficult or impossible to handle (for a variety of causes). It is the 'catch 22' of hypertrophy; myotrauma (on a rudimentary level) is the basis for musculoskeletal hyptrophy to occur, however, it is also the prime factor in the establishment of the repeated effort effect.

I was alluding to using the "heat technique" during SD. I shoulda been clearer.

So the question still stands - does this heatshock protein discriminate between muscle fibres and connective tissue? If not, then perhaps heat therapy during SD is not wise.

At 140 it would boil your @$$ to a prune !
I have mine set a 106 and everyone say's it is to hot .

Honestly, I'd consider such a thing to be minutia.

I might be inclined to take a hot shower, though.

If I wanted to, non-pharmacologically, prevent atrophy (apart from using training and diet), I'd probably employ the shower thing, and right after, follow it with STRONG EMS usage, and then end it with a rough massage.

Pharmacologically, I'd pick Clenbuterol.

I am fascinated by HSPs, and a pet interest is held in regards to HSP90. However, the means by which to activate them tend to cause great drain upon systems. If I am in a situation where atrophy is an issue, I would likely consider such drain undesirable.

Besides, like I asserted, I think it's minutia. I doubt it will save one pound of your muscle, relative to not doing the sauna jazz.

The EMS may or may not fall into a similar category, in terms of effect on maintaining hypertrophy (although I have personally had success with a particular protcol), but I KNOW it is, at the very least, quite effective at maintaining neural pathways and drive to muscles, and can serve as a substitute (on occasion) for "extra" workouts. Of course, many of you may not care about that aspect.

Hehe. A little off topic, but I'm must comment.
Here in Finland we usually heat our saunas to about 80 degrees celsius = 176 fahrenheit and that's not considered very hot.
Some people heat their saunas to over 100 degrees celsius (212 fahrenheit)
We even have sauna world championships where people try to stay in as long as possible. The sauna is heated to 110 celsius (230 fahrenheit) and water is poured on the sauna stove. The winner stayed in for 13 min 32 sec.

Each year, approximately 3,800 injuries and 34 deaths occur in the home due to scalding from excessively hot tap water. The majority of these accidents involve the elderly and children under the age of five. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) urges all users to lower their water heaters to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. In addition to preventing accidents, this decrease in temperature will conserve energy and save money.
Most adults will suffer third-degree burns if exposed to 150 degree water for two seconds. Burns will also occur with a six-second exposure to 140 degree water or with a thirty second exposure to 130 degree water. Even if the temperature is 120 degrees, a five minute exposure could result in third-degree burns.
For the complete story click below
http://63.74.109.9/cpscpub/pubs/5098.html

However, with a sauna you don’t submerge your body into water.
Therefore, it must be different than a hot tub in reference to scalding .

Either way Sonny, it's more heat than my bod could ever stand. Those Fins are tough!
crazy.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sonny @ Sep. 11 2004,1:03)]However, with a sauna you don’t submerge your body into water.
Therefore, it must be different than a hot tub in reference to scalding .
Indeed. The specific heat capacity of steam is less than half of water's, and air is less than one-quarter of water's, so you could spend a little more than twice as long as in a steamroom as those times said for water without being burned and four times as long in a sauna. Keep in mind, though, that the more humid the air is the quicker you will fry. Not that you'd want to stay in there as long as possible anyway - what your skin may be able to stand might be too much heat for your body.

Back