Gain Muscle lose Fat?

Joe.Muscle

Hey guys sometimes I can make things way harder than they really are. So maybe some of you guys can clarify this issue for me.

So we know that science say's you cant turn fat into muscle.
I was thinking about his concept and this is were I got confused.

Take an average guy who has been lifting for say couple years. He is above average in muscularity but wants to get bigger with hypertrophy.

Well say he is 15% bodyfat. Well we know that you must consume more calories than you burn to pack on muscle. But we all know that you can't put on muscle without adding fat.

So basically what I am asking is someone in this position does not want to gain anymore fat b/c they are already at 15% bodyfat so what does a trainer do?

I am thinking if this is logical everyone should cut to get back lean, unless you are the type of person who doesn't mind the pudge.

What I am asking is from the way I understand nutrition. If you want to slow bulk, there has to be a serious cutting phase to get you down to lean BF% before you can go adding muscle, unless you want to add more fat to your current body frame correct?

Sorry if this is too elementary!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stan @ Oct. 17 2005,10:08)]
wow.gif
7-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (baby a @ Oct. 17 2005,12
wow.gif
7)]hence bulking and cutting phases....
Hahahahhaha, Pwned :D
S.
Nutts
butbut.gif

Some say at 15% BF is where a cut should commence I personally could see going as far as 18%.

If this person is at 15% and is trying to gain more lean mass but maintain fat levels then start cylcing a larger percentage of their daily energy around training. Reduce high GL carbs on non training days and add in cardio or longer duration cardio (if alaready doing cardio). Just my .02

It is possible to gain muscle and loose fat (a little), just not over the long haul. And you can't expect that to happen if you're already at 5% BF. My last cycle I gained muscle while loosing an inch around my waist and gaining size in my arms during the 5's. My BF % dropped about 1-2% but I put on 3 lbs. I don't expect to do that again though. Now I'm eating to put on a winter coat. I think if your BF% is "high" your body will use the fat energy to grow the muscle short term. <- just my theory
Personally I think it is best to cut first then start trying to gain muscle but that's just me.

Yeah I think cutting before you start bulking might be a good way to start.. if you cut right, you should find how much your caloric intake is, and then you know what to aim for when bulking.

S.

Yeah, I did it and had some of the great results - dropping 1.5bf% and adding 7-8lbs of lean mass. All signs point to muscle memory, so I in the middle of my 10's on my 2nd cycle trying this again. I usually eat 300-500 kcals above maintenance, and throw in ample amounts of cardio.

Sorry it took so long to respond, I've been busy with school.
-Colby

One thing that seems to have helped me recently is to walk one hour in the morning.

As soon as I wake up I take 400mg of caffeine - which costs almost nothing -, eat about 120 cal of fat - to have no insulin response - wait 45 min, and walk 1h. This enables me to burn about 400 cal of almost only bodyfat and little muscle. And then I bulk during the day.

It works quite well.

Back